If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: power joke ??

216. You may not vote on this poll
  • HAVE subscription, will continue to have one

114 52.78%
  • HAD subscrition, will not have another

46 21.30%
  • will NOT renew after current one is up.

35 16.20%
  • never had one never will, OSO rules..

21 9.72%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    My Boats:
    1998 Aquasport 205 Oosprey
    Windham, NH

Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Hey Wasabe, we got that beat here in the's called WINTER and it can take us up to 6 months to get our boats on plane

feels closer to 8 months
    Chris G.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CAP071's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GregP
    I dropped my subscription after 12 years. The cost of the new boats just made them too far out to even dream about.

I have to agree with You Boat prices are crazy anymore

SBRT Southwest

Talking Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Hey Wasabe, we got that beat here in the's called WINTER and it can take us up to 6 months to get our boats on plane

I'd rather have the 45 min.

Charter Member Charter Member Dean Ferry's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
    Merritt Is. Fl. USA

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabe
    Hey, money is money. If they print an ad in the mag or an article that you don't like. Don't buy it. If OSO were to get a lot of money for a Manatee ad... would that keep you from coming here?

F.Y.I. In Newport Beach, CA we idle 45 - 50 to get on plane here too. And we don't have them here like you do over there
    Correcto mundo, I don't buy it and never will again. Good ole USA freedom of choice, and I choose not to support a publication that is run by a bunch of IDIOTS!
    The simple answer to your question about OSO running Manatee ads is YES I would find another powerboating site to visit. There are others out there, they might not be as cool as OSO, but I'm a principled guy and I would have to follow my principles. The whole problem with the Manatee issue is one of IGNORANCE. Please take the time and educate yourself.
    Please go to

Or better yet, go to
    Guess how many Manatees we saw yesterday while boating with TOM FTM and Bajabennett, 0. That's because they are all huddled up around the power plants warm water discharges, which BTW is TERRIBLE for them, all the chemicals and crap they swim in @ the powerplants. BUT the $MC loves the powerplants and Fl state makes the utilities heat the water up to 68 Deg. even if the cooling demand is not required. Guess who pays for that?!
    The whole problem is that tugs, barges, big commercial vessels are the boats hitting and killing Manatees, not recreational boaters. And these commercial vessels get Manatee zones WAIVERS!!!
    I too, have boated out of NEW PORT Harbor and Marina del ray, and I have no problem with idle zones are there for saftey, but when the idle zones are based on junk science and who has the bigger group of lawyers, it is just wrong!

Enjoy the show VIP Member Ron P's Avatar
    The Joisey Shore

I still subscribe to Powerboat after 15 years and I'll continue to do so. Actually, I'm still waiting for John Crouse to start covering offshore again for PB. At least his insight was interesting to read, maybe that's why they got rid of him many years ago. He was my absolute favorite PB writer.

As for offshore coverage, PB gave the Key West Worlds about 4 or 5 pages. When you get the new issue of Extreme Boats Mag (its available at the Miami show right now and its on the way to your mailbox) you'll see 26 pages of Key West coverage plus a full article on the Key West Poker Run and much more.

Next year, we'll start taking rides on some less extreme machines with single engines.

If you haven't seen EBM yet, you need to check it out. You can subscribe at

Thanks for your support. It's nice to know that you appreciate our efforts to produce the finest boating mag available.

Ron Polli
    Offshore Editor
    Extreme Boats Magazine
    Last edited by Ron P; 02-20-2005 at 03:20 PM.

Lake Mary, Fl

I didn't renew mainly because I get it free at work, but as to the boat test, remember they can only test what the manufacturers send them. I do spend much more time on OSO, Power Boat doesn't leave the bathroom except when my kid is looking at the pictures.

My Boats:
    Don't even mention the word boat
    Tampa, Indian Shores Beach

Wasabe and Indy

I will be as nice as I can, But bottom line is I don't think you have any idea the problem we face in FL. Maybe you like putting for 40min everytime you go out, I don't. I don't know whats up in CA or CT but in FL, F*&% PB and the save the manatee club. I honestly don't think you all have any idea how bad it is, and the chit we deal with. They really want all power boaters off the water!!! I am not bullchitting check thier website. Better yet come visit and see for yourself. and did PB say they were sorry,,,,,,,,,NO I read the response Matt gave,he was an ASS at best. But thats OK he doesn't boat in FL, if he did we wouldn't even be havng this discussion.

Long story short PB is out of touch with FL and so be it. EBM gets it, and my money now.

SBRT Southwest

Bunny Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Hey Will,

My Boats:
    353 FasTech
    1000 Islands

The writing is substance-less drivel.

They blow everybody who spends a dime on advertising, and even some who don't.
    Come to think of it ...they pretty much just blow everybody.

I like the BS they'll come up with about the anchor locker latch they didn't like, or the counter's not fiddled, lame attempts to find something wrong with something. This is instead of providing hardcore performance boat performance commentary and impressions of different operators.
    If you can't see through that bullsh*t... are a nitwit!

The comments in this thread sum up the state of PB magazine in the minds of it's intended core audience...

any 100+ page magazine you can be pretty much done with in 20 minutes...

Internet will kill all but the very best of print magazines, if not sooner....certianly later.

Allergic to Nonsense Platinum Member T2x's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
    Granite Quarry, NC

Upon further reflection.........

Powerboat has been around a long time....and done our sport a service more often than not. I've read the magazine for 40 years or so, since it was called "Hot Boat" prior to its purchase by Bob Nordskog. This magazine has done a better job of chronicling performance boating than any other publication by a wide margin.

If you boil them in oil for one lousy article on Manitees, and for your own frustration in not being able to afford some of their test boats.....something is wrong with this picture. The use of the term "nitwits" was very ill advised, but some of our posters might, in fact, deserve it now and then.

I trust that PB reads these posts ....and, if possible, adjusts to readers wants and requests....... Within a business like context.

Frankly, we all make mistakes and to expect perfection in any forum or from any enterprise is unrealistic. Even I make errors (at least one I think )..... but, we can, and should, expect improvements as the magazine continues its development.

Sitting here bashing the magazine ("sucks", "Powerjoke", etc.....), IMHO, is no way to bridge the gap, but a certain amount of constructive criticism is always helpful.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast