Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96714-power-joke-magazine-poll-subscriptions.html)

CigDaze 02-21-2005 12:52 PM

Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Originally Posted by Ron P
you'll see 26 pages of Key West coverage plus a full article on the Key West Poker Run and much more.

Finally, someone gets it.....That's what I'd expect for the single largest offshore boating event in the US. Kudos to EBM!

What does PB do? They run a 3 or 4 page spread on some joe blow family of four(no disrespect to them) who follow racing. Who cares! What were they thinking????????????

Good point, Trout....That Formula/Merc test was shameful...

Dean Ferry 02-22-2005 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Upon further reflection.........

Powerboat has been around a long time....and done our sport a service more often than not. I've read the magazine for 40 years or so, since it was called "Hot Boat" prior to its purchase by Bob Nordskog. This magazine has done a better job of chronicling performance boating than any other publication by a wide margin.

If you boil them in oil for one lousy article on Manitees, and for your own frustration in not being able to afford some of their test boats.....something is wrong with this picture. The use of the term "nitwits" was very ill advised, but some of our posters might, in fact, deserve it now and then.

I trust that PB reads these posts ....and, if possible, adjusts to readers wants and requests....... Within a business like context.

Frankly, we all make mistakes and to expect perfection in any forum or from any enterprise is unrealistic. Even I make errors (at least one I think :p )..... but, we can, and should, expect improvements as the magazine continues its development.

Sitting here bashing the magazine ("sucks", "Powerjoke", etc.....), IMHO, is no way to bridge the gap, but a certain amount of constructive criticism is always helpful.

T2x.................

T2x,
Ahhh, the old days of PB when Bob N. was still running it. I miss those days, the new PJ editorial team is out of touch with it's Fl. readers. Oh well, I guess I'll just take my PJ subscription $$ and send it to www.cffw.org :D These folks ARE Fl. Boaters who are doing something to help improve boating in Fl., and help the Manatee @ the same time.
Dean

Padraig 02-22-2005 09:26 PM

PB never goes into any detail. Bought this months because the cover said it had an article about intercoms. What a joke, it was more like an advertisement then an article. Most of the times the tests are more like brochures.

PhantomChaos 02-22-2005 09:34 PM

Powerboat Magazine is great! You guys are too damn picky! ANYTHING ABOUTS BOATS IS GREAT!!!! :evilb: :evilb: :D :D :drink: :drink:

Rippem 02-22-2005 09:49 PM

been around a long time, done our sport service....bla...bla...bla

You know what? I could give a sh*t what the mag did 10, 20, or 30 years ago. I thought today, or better yet this months' presentation was more the subject here.

I should be buying a subscription based upon past performance?
That simply is not acceptable of a consumer information oriented publication, to be awed for past performance.

So I ask again....where is the hardcore nuts and bolts info and no BS impressions of boats and the performance of both product and the manufacturers of those products? In real time not months later????

It's not in PowerBoat magazine. Period

I will continue to glance into future issues to see if they are moving in the direstion of what the readership, not the advertisers want.

If they do I'd most likely subscribe again, but not until.

I'm telling you internet will kill all but the very best ! The info is often first hand, straight-up, and right now.

I wish I could rest on past performance in my trade, and not have to follow, and rise to present expectations.
Resting on laurels will not cut it in my world, or for PB magazine.

I would like to see them succeed in this respect, but that mags' got a ways to go.

Chris288 02-23-2005 08:49 AM

It amazes me how many test boats have TCM motors in them.. I'm sure the manufacturers are putting these motors in there just for PB to test and for some brownie points.. I have never seen a boat test with a TCM motor that wasn't running up to snuff, but I have seen a few with Mercs. that weren't ... :rolleyes:

The whole magazine is like ONE BIG advertisement..

DoTheMath 02-23-2005 09:30 AM

Wow!! We are an opinionated and critical group, aren't we!? :D So, I have tried to take my lap-top into the crapper with me, doesn't work so well... I have subscribed to PB for about 15 years now and yeah, I still get it and probably still will. It has changed so much over the years, gone from a "reasonably" technical magazine to a glory list of advertisers and bias. Yeah, the pictures are awesome, Bob's tech articles are good and helpful, and once in a great while you might see something new. No doubt that this site alone has managed to trump ANY source of published info in this world of "powerboating", how can it not. A magazine has about a 2 month lead-time, there is no cutting edge news available at that point that someone here hasn't dug up already. When Bob N. was there and ran the show, it was more of a boutique publication for this sport and it has supported it over the years very well. Can it be everything to everyone, obviously not... but it is full of "powerboats", per-se' and that is the title of the mag. With Extreme Boats now out and PR America, there are two sources of hard-core boating as we know and like it. Yeah, I read the ski boat articles and even read the Cobalt articles in PB, I like to see what everyone is doing in the industry, just to better my knowledge overall. Is it biased? - sure it is, but hey - that's how the bills get paid, sad but true... If they bash Fountain too much, bye-bye first three pages inside the cover of advertising revenue, (just as an example - sorry ;) ). I think that they try to be everything to everyone - more or less - and that is difficult.

So, with that said bring on T2x as a contributing Ed. and title the column - "Back In The Day" - (no reference to age there btw Rich... :) ) and give the hard-core guys something to read that is truly interesting and real.

-Mark-

robyw1 02-23-2005 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
My girlfriend just got me a subscription for Valentines day. She must have gotten it out of one of my prior ones ( I buy it once in a while from the newstand if it has something in it I want to read). She also just renewed (for 2 yrs) my PRA for Christmas. I like a girl who knows what to get me!!! :D

You mean her right? :D

T2x 03-01-2005 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
So, with that said bring on T2x as a contributing Ed. and title the column - "Back In The Day" - (no reference to age there btw Rich... :) ) and give the hard-core guys something to read that is truly interesting and real.

I prefer the title "From my Perch"....................

A column that tackles the hot web topics of the day...... and creates some new ones.......with an eye toward the past and the tendency to re-invent the wheel everytime a new generation of boaters arrives....plus neat stuff like the picture below.

At the very least it will liven up the "letters to the Editor" page.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

T2x

SinkorSwim 03-17-2005 06:51 AM

Just don't have time to read all of the magazines anymore.. I get my boating fix off of the web.....

and was getting tired of never getting a good honest review on a boat...