Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Notices

Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Old 02-17-2005, 11:57 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Just got back from a quick up and back trip from here at LOTO to just outside the Detroit area to look at a 90 Top Gun, half cabin. Sounded very positive before the trip, but after doing some serious inspection I decided against it. There were several obvious things and too many not so obvious things that were cause for concern for the unknown. Anyway was a nice ride, except for waking up on wed. morning to two inches of snow...ugggghhh. Then had a blowout on a rear tire on the way back. Brand new tires last year too. Bummer. All tuned out well tho and made it back. Nice to be here in Gods country.
Here is a pic of the boat.
John
Sunrise Upholstery
Attached Thumbnails Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun-sideview.jpg  
Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

What town was the boat in, sorry it did not work out for you.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

The boat was in a little town called Harrison Township, right on the Lake St. Clair.

Oh well, there will be another one.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

What was wrong with the boat?? Others may want to know....
Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Registered

http://www.watersedgeboats.com/

One could say that their reputation precedes them...
Old 02-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

It was on ebay twice in the last little bit, looks like a nice ride.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Lakeluvr,
I also looked at that boat two weeks ago. There are a number of people on this site that know the boat or the previous owner.
I though the hull exterior was in good shape for a 1990 but was confused regarding construction. Thought it was Kevlar possibly and maybe a ex-race boat.
All the drive and steering hardware on the back looked good but the engines sort of scared me only because they were built to a level I could not identify and some accesories seemed positioned without much thought. Hard to describe but visually noticeable.
The cabin interior was very basic, the dash and instruments needed some work and up grades so did the seating/sunpad.
I really did like the simple hull graphics but the old painted regestration numbers were still visable.

Also the sales guy really didn't have a good idea of what he had and was trying overly hard to sell the Cigarette image more than the boat. But he did admit he normally didn't deal performance boats.

i'm thinking it is a 50K boat. Then again I may be completly wrong vs what you found.
What were your thoughts, I'd like to know if we're the same.

Another story ......
My wife was in Ft. Myers , Fl for a quick weekend visit with her sister recently. I had her look at 1994 T.G. at a broker there. The boat is on Boat ttrader or Yacht trader at Landlubber Marine. They want high 90'sK and say the seller is motivated. I asked the broker to describe the boat cosmetically and mechanically from 1 to 10. He gave it a 8.
My wife and her sister went to see the boat. It was filthy to include mold/mildew. I guess he ment 8 was a low end !
thanks,
ed
Old 02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Lakeluvr,
I also looked at that boat two weeks ago. There are a number of people on this site that know the boat or the previous owner.
I though the hull exterior was in good shape for a 1990 but was confused regarding construction. Thought it was Kevlar possibly and maybe a ex-race boat.
All the drive and steering hardware on the back looked good but the engines sort of scared me only because they were built to a level I could not identify and some accesories seemed positioned without much thought. Hard to describe but visually noticeable.
The cabin interior was very basic, the dash and instruments needed some work and up grades so did the seating/sunpad.
I really did like the simple hull graphics but the old painted regestration numbers were still visable.

Also the sales guy really didn't have a good idea of what he had and was trying overly hard to sell the Cigarette image more than the boat. But he did admit he normally didn't deal performance boats.

i'm thinking it is a 50K boat. Then again I may be completly wrong vs what you found.
What were your thoughts, I'd like to know if we're the same.

Another story ......
My wife was in Ft. Myers , Fl for a quick weekend visit with her sister recently. I had her look at 1994 T.G. at a broker there. The boat is on Boat ttrader or Yacht trader at Landlubber Marine. They want high 90'sK and say the seller is motivated. I asked the broker to describe the boat cosmetically and mechanically from 1 to 10. He gave it a 8.
My wife and her sister went to see the boat. It was filthy to include mold/mildew. I guess he ment 8 was a low end !
thanks,
ed
Yes, this boat was on Ebay two times by the current company. Had been on Ebay previously by origingal owner before it got repoed. I talked to him at that time and thought about going to see it then, but next thing I knew it was too late. Then ran across it again. Based on what I heard from the original owner made it sound interesting enough to go look at. Overall outward appearance of the hull was nice and clean. Like you said original but plain graffics. Interior was in serious need of a redo. Of course looking at it from an upolstery guys standpoint. Wasn't real pleased with how they had done the repaint of the dash, would have had to be redone.

Turns out we looked closely at the outdrives and they looked new and shiney. In fact it had been reported originally that they had been stolen and since replaced with new ones. But in our mind were just rebuilt and repainted drives. The port drive had serious problem with the pivot point on the gimble ring. Lots of play and in need of serious repair. The trim indicators were about to fall off. Someone had spent some money on the engines but like you said the detail work in the engine compartment really left alot to be desired. Upon pulling the dipsticks we found the oil to be very old and black looking. Scary to see especially if you consider that it was an indication of how the boat was maintained. Looking deeper inside the engine compartment showed that they had cleaned just what they could reach and was serious buildup of crud, oil and mess, also not good if in fact it supposedly had just been gone thru. I agree with you maybe a 50K boat but certainly not what they were asking, at least to me.

Also, being a half cabin and supposedly a Kevlar boat, might lighten it enough for some extra speed, but what I've heard recently might make it undirseable for a good ride. And living here a LOTO the ride is much more important than alot of speed. If someone here has experience in this regard I would love to hear from them.

Not sure if it was some sales scam but they supposedly had some other buyer ready with a deposit if I didn't take it. But who knows. Will be interesting to see if it is still available in a little while.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I'd say they lied to you regardin ghaving a buyer. They have yet to reach more than low 50K on EBAY and it's still there.

ed
Old 02-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I wished I had known you were going up there I had a 98 TG near that I have an interest in.

Was told in needs one of the bolsters recovered. Wonder who could do that?

Quick Reply: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.