Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Formula 400SS with diesels at Miami (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96957-formula-400ss-diesels-miami.html)

C_Spray 02-21-2005 08:42 PM

Formula 400SS with diesels at Miami

Did anyone else ride on the 400SS that Formula had in the water at Miami? They said those diesels were 350 a side, but I'm not buying it. I saw 48.5 GPS and acceleration like you wouldn't believe. The 525's may have a better top end, but these would still cruise at 40+ mph and give you 1.5 mpg at the same time - in an 18,000 lb. boat. 2-year warranty (including the drives), too... Didn't sound like diesels, either - really,really quiet.

Sydwayz 02-21-2005 09:01 PM

Re: Formula 400SS with diesels at Miami

I went out on the 37PC, but not the 400SS.

mcollinstn 02-21-2005 10:23 PM

Welcome to the world of diesels. In a heavy boat, diesels are the cat's whiskers. You give up maybe a mile or two an hour on absolute top end, but can cruise 5mph faster than a gas boat and ytou have twice the range at that faster cruise. Add on top of that, a 2000 hour lifespan (before first rebuild) at that fast cruise and you have gas beaten hands down.

They also won't explode from fumes in the bilge, and you won't be killing anybody with silent carbon monoxide from the genset at night (yes, diesels DO put out a little monoxide, but only a fraction of a gas motor, and the diesel exhaust will make you start puking long before you are in danger of monoxide death...)

My Sea Ray runs within 1 mph WOT of the gas motor WOT speed (Horizons versus Cat 3116's), but cruises at 6mph faster than the gas motor cruise, and the fuel burn difference is staggeringly in favor of the diesel. The boat also accelerates MUCH harder than the gas version of the same boat (once the turbo spools up which takes 5 seconds from idle).

Jassman 02-21-2005 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Did anyone else ride on the 400SS that Formula had in the water at Miami? They said those diesels were 350 a side, but I'm not buying it. I saw 48.5 GPS and acceleration like you wouldn't believe. The 525's may have a better top end, but these would still cruise at 40+ mph and give you 1.5 mpg at the same time - in an 18,000 lb. boat. 2-year warranty (including the drives), too... Didn't sound like diesels, either - really,really quiet.

In PB this month they have the same boat, very impressive, I would like to see the Yanmar 440 or even 500 paired up with some Arnesons, that would be cool. :cool: Jeff

Sydwayz 02-21-2005 11:03 PM

I did not have a chance to check it out, but the new Donzi 41ZSC also had deisels, and looked BEAUTIFUL.

C_Spray 02-22-2005 06:33 AM

If I remember correctly, the "Boat Show Special" price on the loaded 400SS demo was under $400k. I can only imagine what Donzi wanted for that 41...

I rode on the 525-powered boat two years ago. It ran well once it was up on plane, but didn't pull near as hard out of the hole. Besides, all that noise was really out of character with the boat's intended purpose.