Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   $50K - 1st Performance Boat - What should I get ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97030-%2450k-1st-performance-boat-what-should-i-get.html)

kidrock 02-24-2005 09:04 PM

Re: $50K - 1st Performance Boat - What should I get ?

2001 v260 w 454mag. blue yellow bought in 02 matching trailer boat has 170hrs, motor was replaced at velocity when Scott Mac was employed.that was about 70 hrs. ago we can verify this with Ken @ velocity or paperwork. its been a great boat. 70 plus when ever u feel the need. Good luck on the hunt......

tj309 02-24-2005 09:21 PM

as new as I am to this forum I cant let this go by. Do your research 1st. Determine what you want in the boat. Then look in ads in your price range. Be sure what you are getting.

I just bought a 24' cat with 2 300hp mercs. This boat was set up for total speed at the expense of everything else. I always have wanted a tunnel and have moved since to an ocean environment so figgured a cat would be perfect. Wrong answer. I now have an ill mannered boat that I will have to put another at least 2.5K into to fix to detune it to make it satisfactiry to the wife. Yes it will still go very fast but not as much - but who cares when you start at 110?

Do your research and ask lots of questions before you plunk the money down - this forum is excellent.

TJ

Way2Slow 02-24-2005 09:50 PM

Dude I'm in the same boat but my budget is a little higher 65k but can't tow a boat more than 6900 pounds....
Iv'e looked at the 29 Outlaw by Baja 51k-100k price range
Superboat 30-y2k...order today and maybe you will get it in October....I wish they could get these boats out sooner...
I would love a 28 Pantera for the right price...I wish whats-his-name still had his for sale....
28 Donzi....seems like a stretched 26zx
28 Apache.....I wish... too damn heavy to tow...
27 Activator...good race boat no cup holders for the wife...
28 Venom....Wish they would produce a cheap family oriented boat with a cabin. I really like the lines...
29 Warlock....Not for me personally...
28 Powerplay....Company know defunct Still like the boat
28 Velocity..good boat...but just not for me...
29 Scarab's nothing bad to say....
29 Fountain....cockpit too confining for wife....
29 Formula....I personally like boats without windshields

So for me that leaves me with a used 28' Pantera or a 29 Baja Outlaw or maybe a used 28 Active Thunder/Chief....
Maybe you should look at these too. Maybe you could stretch yourself another 15k?

-Way2Slow a.k.a. Mirageman but lost my damn password....

Steve_H 02-24-2005 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Way2Slow
Dude I'm in the same boat but my budget is a little higher 65k but can't tow a boat more than 6900 pounds....
Iv'e looked at the 29 Outlaw by Baja 51k-100k price range
Superboat 30-y2k...order today and maybe you will get it in October....I wish they could get these boats out sooner...
I would love a 28 Pantera for the right price...I wish whats-his-name still had his for sale....
28 Donzi....seems like a stretched 26zx
28 Apache.....I wish... too damn heavy to tow...27 Activator...good race boat no cup holders for the wife...
28 Venom....Wish they would produce a cheap family oriented boat with a cabin. I really like the lines...
29 Warlock....Not for me personally...
28 Powerplay....Company know defunct Still like the boat
28 Velocity..good boat...but just not for me...
29 Scarab's nothing bad to say....
29 Fountain....cockpit too confining for wife....
29 Formula....I personally like boats without windshields

So for me that leaves me with a used 28' Pantera or a 29 Baja Outlaw or maybe a used 28 Active Thunder/Chief....
Maybe you should look at these too. Maybe you could stretch yourself another 15k?

-Way2Slow a.k.a. Mirageman but lost my damn password....

tow mine alot with a tired 2500 Dodge

YELLOW7 02-24-2005 11:47 PM

I really appreciate everyones info. I'm totally overwhelmed at this point. Before this forum I thought my options were Fountain, Donzi, Eliminator, or Baja. Never thought there would be that many great Performance boats out there.

I stay pretty exclusively at Lake Lewisville in Texas and sometimes have been to Texoma but never had a boat that could take any rough water (last boat was a wakeboarding boat) so I hide from any areas that I would get the crap beat out of me during the ride. Lake Lewisville is overun with Baja's so I wanted something different so I wouldnt see my boat driving by all weekend.

Thanks to all who sent me there Boats for Sale. I'm already getting the bug to go bigger but I need to get one summer under my belt in a 26-28 before making that decision.

Keep the info coming, its great info and once again I appreciate the help.

If you ever on Lake Lewisville/Lake Dallas stop by the Cottonwood Creek Marina and have a beer.

HiPerf2000 02-25-2005 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by YELLOW7
(last boat was a wakeboarding boat) so I hide from any areas that I would get the crap beat out of me during the ride.

may want to look at something like this to run in bigger water. (p.s. this is not my boat, and i don't know who is selling it)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-2635.html

ST31 02-25-2005 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
may want to look at something like this to run in bigger water. (p.s. this is not my boat, and i don't know who is selling it)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-2635.html

Yellow7,

If you have not looked at Sonic and there is one in your price range you should. I bought mine around two years ago and love it. Handles anything Texoma or Travis can throw at it, and has one of the best cabins of all. I am on Lake Lewisville all the time out of Pier 121. If you see me on the water be sure to say hi.

This is mine,

thedonz 02-25-2005 12:38 PM

in that price range one word PANTERA 28

donz jr

Shooter 02-25-2005 05:16 PM

give this a looksee...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-4248.html

I'm certainly motivated right now...

Steve_H 02-25-2005 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by thedonz
in that price range one word PANTERA 28

donz jr

yep.

or a Cig Bullet

or an Apache Brave :D