Notices

Miami Show TMP1600

Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBODY
I still havent heard anything about those NASA inspired lifters either. Maby some smoke and mirrors???
It's gone from superduper special lifters to top secret homemade oil pans..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
At some point in the thread it was ,mentioned though that Morels "didn't hold up either" in there INTENSIVE dyno testing but that might have been said just to throw everyone off! I have been running Morels at the 1100 hp level for 5 years and they are just fine so hard to sort thru the bs, Smitty
Smitty,

The lifters in question are the Morel 5045. Morel had solicited a number of engine builders to test and evaluate the new (at that time) billet body Hi RPM hydraulic roller lifters. The object was twofold. It was to gather a larger sampling of performance data and assess field durability under varied conditions. There was a significant interest in the marine side of this evaluation due to the perception that the increased stress imparted by prolonged running at elevated RPM would tax the durability of the part. There was never any provision to evaluate the resonant frequency disturbances at prescribed RPM points as implied.

In our instance the lifters were sent to us with very specific instructions on spring setup, lifter to bore clearance and preload. The test pieces were to be run for a prescribed period, without any performance restrictions, and returned for evaluation. The lifters were then rebuilt to as new and returned to us to keep at no charge.

It was the intent of this program that the testing, evaluation and results would be conducted in confidence as the final phase of a manufacturer validation and not used as a promotional tool for the testers.

Another unintended consequence was erroneous information (due to inconsistent/improper testing procedures) gathered regarding product is still in circulation currently.

Bob
Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NOBODY
No big name guy here. I still havent heard anything about those NASA inspired lifters either. Maby some smoke and mirrors???
Smoke and mirrors, dog and pony show. Back then and now, some things never change.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Smoke and mirrors, dog and pony show. Back then and now, some things never change.
Take it by recent posts you are not an Eddie Young fan?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Smitty,

The lifters in question are the Morel 5045. Morel had solicited a number of engine builders to test and evaluate the new (at that time) billet body Hi RPM hydraulic roller lifters. The object was twofold. It was to gather a larger sampling of performance data and assess field durability under varied conditions. There was a significant interest in the marine side of this evaluation due to the perception that the increased stress imparted by prolonged running at elevated RPM would tax the durability of the part. There was never any provision to evaluate the resonant frequency disturbances at prescribed RPM points as implied.

In our instance the lifters were sent to us with very specific instructions on spring setup, lifter to bore clearance and preload. The test pieces were to be run for a prescribed period, without any performance restrictions, and returned for evaluation. The lifters were then rebuilt to as new and returned to us to keep at no charge.

It was the intent of this program that the testing, evaluation and results would be conducted in confidence as the final phase of a manufacturer validation and not used as a promotional tool for the testers.

Another unintended consequence was erroneous information (due to inconsistent/improper testing procedures) gathered regarding product is still in circulation currently.

Bob
These are the same lifters then that I just installed in my motor during my re-fresh? I remember when I was in the motor last time 5 years ago or so that they were behind on them and we just couldn't wait any longer. So, TMP's guys got the premium Morel lifters that you and several others were using/testing at the same time but claimed they were super special one offs built just for them, I see!
"with custom built lifters that have a built in pressurized oil system"
I also see the relationship between Eddie and TMP, I thought he was a disgruntled ex-employee from other post I have read on other threads but I guess he was a partner or 1/2 owner:
"I don't post very often. Sorry but I am very busy. I am co-owner of TMP with Steve.".
I can't believe I never saw this thread before the other day, it is very interesting !
Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
And who the hell is NOBODY??? I assume he's a big name famous engine builder who wants to remain secret??
Just found this thread and read a few pages. Yes he was! And the secret is out: Who Is NOBODY Post #35! And yes, "NOBODY" was Somebody!!!!!

Last edited by firehill19; 09-21-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Once you cut through the chit slinging proved to be a very interesting thread . Rest in peace Brad Smith aka nobody .

http://youtu.be/5Qf6Sv3A9zs

Last edited by the deep; 09-23-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firehill19
Just found this thread and read a few pages. Yes he was! And the secret is out: Who Is NOBODY Post #35! And yes, "NOBODY" was Somebody!!!!!
I know its been raining and you are retired now....but Damn...how did you find this thread from the grave??
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered

The irony of who was first to OSO with the news of "somebody" just hit me after seeing this again! WOW!