Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Finalizing Transom Art - Coast Guard Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97149-finalizing-transom-art-coast-guard-question.html)

Summer Heat 02-24-2005 02:19 PM

Finalizing Transom Art - Coast Guard Question

for the hailing port does it have to read "Port of City, State" or can you just have City, St. and my understanding is this needs to be in 4'' lettering?

Sorry for the rookie question, I can't seem to find an answer anywhere....

docmanrich37 02-24-2005 02:22 PM

Re: Finalizing Transom Art - Coast Guard Question

Originally Posted by Summer Heat
for the hailing port does it have to read "Port of City, State" or can you just have City, St.

Sorry for the rookie question, I can't seem to find an answer anywhere....

City,State here in Va. not sure in your state.

Summer Heat 02-24-2005 02:24 PM

Oopps, didn't realize this would be state controlled, we boat on Dale Hollow, TN

jayboat 02-24-2005 03:11 PM

I've lettered over a thousand boats in my life, many of them documented, and I've never put 'Port of" on any of em...

DollaBill 02-24-2005 03:36 PM

Name (any size)
Anytown, NY (4" specified by CG, but anything over 3" will usually pass if you have a space problem.

Sydwayz 02-24-2005 03:59 PM

No need for "Port of".

CAP071 02-24-2005 05:37 PM

Just call your local Coast Guard station

DollaBill 02-24-2005 05:48 PM

Read My Post. I Sell 50-70 Large Boats Each Year And I Have To Comply W/ Cg Regs Since We Install The Name And Hailing Port As Part Of The Purchase :)

bcschoe 02-24-2005 06:24 PM

Right from the NVDC webpage..All markings must be at least 4 inches...

WHAT ARE THE VESSEL NAME AND HAILING PORT MARKING REQUIREMENTS?
Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.
Top of Page

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm#11

Summer Heat 02-25-2005 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I had also read the info BCSCHOE posted but it still left me un-clear on "Port of Call" lettering.

Nice to know I don't have to junk it up and just City, State works. Off to my graphics guy, Thanks again

Kent