Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing question...weight distributing hitch or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97158-towing-question-weight-distributing-hitch-not.html)

CignificantOther 02-24-2005 10:38 PM

Re: Towing question...weight distributing hitch or not?

I tow my Top Gun sitting on a steel Myco with a standard hitch. The truck is a Dodge 2500 diesel, not a dually. Approximate total weight is 14,500....(big engines and # 6 drives). No problems with handling, its all in distributing the load correctly.

Sydwayz 02-24-2005 11:10 PM

I don't hold my hydraulic steering lines together with plastic zip-ties.

I am not going to half-ass my towing setup either.

The only reason I will consider another truck (1-ton dually) is for a diesel engine and mileage.

BigSilverCat 02-24-2005 11:28 PM

I have towed my boat with and with out weight distribution and i will always use them

Byrdman 02-24-2005 11:39 PM

Get that and do not forget to get more insurance... :evilb:

East Coast B 02-25-2005 05:36 AM

Distribution for boat trailers with surge brakes. I've found that if the rig is setup correctly and you have enough truck for the job, you don't have to go this route. A lot depends on how often, how far and what terrain your towing with what vehicle. Good Luck and be safe!!! Here is a link for bars for surge brake boat trailers.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/boat.html

BBB 02-25-2005 01:11 PM

32 baja with ram 2500, often travel up and down 6% grades. I also have surge brakes but I installed a line lock from summit and I energize it before going down big hills to keep the boat from pushing the brakes on.works great and if you do need to make an emergence stop, just flip a switch and there ya go

Chart 02-25-2005 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CObarry
What do I really need to safely tow? BTW, I'm not towing much or very far; the boat will be on a lift most of the time, but I'll probably pull it out every now and then to have it worked on.

If that is all you plan to tow it, then simply go with a solid metal receiver insert with a quality 2 5/16 ball, and drive as slow and cautious as Granny on Sunday. Also make sure the trailer brakes are in good repair.

If you plan to drive to TN and retrieve the boat, then you need to do more, but no reason to bore you with that at this point.

When's the boat coming home?

Chart 02-25-2005 04:27 PM

Question for those who've towed with and without WD, and claim to love it: Why?

What does it contribute to the ride if the airbags on the truck make everything level without them? This is a sincere question, and I'm not looking for the insurance angle, nor the "legal" angle, as the word "legal" is not really applicable here. There are no laws being broken.

CObarry 02-25-2005 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chart
If that is all you plan to tow it, then simply go with a solid metal receiver insert with a quality 2 5/16 ball, and drive as slow and cautious as Granny on Sunday. Also make sure the trailer brakes are in good repair.

If you plan to drive to TN and retrieve the boat, then you need to do more, but no reason to bore you with that at this point.

When's the boat coming home?

It's getting picked up on 3/24 and delivered bright and early 3/25. I'm having it shipped as I just don't want to spend the time myself going there and back. 3/25,26,27 I'm going to see how much fuel I can burn, weather permitting... :D

Primal Instinct 02-25-2005 06:29 PM

Have '01 Yukon XL 3/4 ton w/ 4.1 diff., 8.1 litre...no problem pulling my '38 Cig on a manning trailer and I do not have the weight dist bars...although they look like a good idea that I will look into.

Highly recommend electric brakes...IMHO they are a huge improvement over surge brakes...

Every year I pull my boat from Michigan to Florida and everytime I have had to really get on the brakes its been the first 10 miles on flat straight road (lots of traffic lights and idiots)...it's also really handy to have electrics if you ever pull through areas with long downhills...