Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ?? >

Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

Notices

Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

Old 02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
Here is my advice-- Get yourself to Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. The best place to go for big problems. They will fix you. Don't waste any time on this. I have a friend who is dying right now from Prostate cancer. He did not get treated early enough and it is too late to save him.

Guys-- If you are over 35 you better get a yearly PSA test for early detection. My friend is 42 and hadn't had a physical in 6 years. I am the same age and I go every year.
Mr P, you reading this? Love ya honey.

Poorshe
I have been acquainted with several people who have had great recoveries from this. I am sure your mind is spinning from this news. There are a lot of options and a lot of people that have been gone through this, hopefully some of their advice will lead you in the right direction. Best wishes we are all praying for you. Donna
Old 02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

The doctor to contact at JOHNS HOPKINS is DR.Alan Partin,he is the director of the department of urology.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Prostate is about the most treatable and survivable cancer there is!

You will do fine. Decide on a treatment according to age, lifestyle, and risk.

It's a maintenence thing...1/3 of all men will have prostate issues, the most common being cancer. That's why the treatments are so well scienced....experience!

Again, you will do fine. Just get on with the treatment of choice, and be done with it before boating season!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poorsche sorry to hear that news. That said, the good news is it is very treatable, depending what stage, and how aggressive you want/have to go.

My father-in-law chose the 'seeding' (one of the first to undergo this procedure back then in Staten Island, NY), was the least invasive, and has been free for at least 7 or 8 yrs. or more. He checks his PSA constantly.

Only fall out for him seems to be he had to urinate frequently. Not sure about the sex part ... he and my mother-in-law prolly had sex 5 times, one for each kid, and that was it ... I think ... the youngest is 35yrs old so that's not an issue with him.

Good luck and we'll pray for you.

Last edited by njgr8ful; 02-25-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I've had Ulcertive Colitis now for about 8 years (a cousin to Chrones disease). Increases my risk of prostate cancer by about 50% over the normal man, so I read this thread with some concerned interest. Please keep us informed of your decisions as I'm sure you and I are not the only ones who worries about this form of cancer.

Hope everything works out for you.

Mike
Old 02-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
Here is my advice-- Get yourself to Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. The best place to go for big problems. They will fix you. .
I'll second that. Very high cure rate if it hasn't spread to lymph nodes.
Good luck.
Gary
Old 02-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wananewboat
My dad got diagnosed when he was 77. He was to old for the removal so he had 3D radiation at Emerson Hospital in Concord, MA. The radiation oncology department is run by Mass General from Boston. He had to go every morning for a ten minute treatment for seven weeks. It made him tired, but he got over it. His PSA level is still low. So far so good. I have talked to many people who were younger and had the removal and they are all doing well and everything still works. They all used a doctor at Mass General. If you need his name and number I could still get it.
My dad was diagnosed last year (he is 77). They gave him the surgery or the raidation treatment. For him to have the surgery, he'd have to go off his blood thinners, which would leave him at risk for stroke or hear attack, so he went with the same treatment as wannanewboat's dad did. I discussed it with him, and told him since he was retired and didn't have to be anywhere at any specific time, I'd opt for any treatment that didn't put him under the knife. He is still checked, and it's all good still.

Poorsce, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? The reason I asked is a few years ago when I had kidney stones, they said my PSA was a tick high.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

Again thanks for info and openess everybody is going with here--

For more background--I'm a 61 y/o 6'--190 # smoker, drinker, single (for 22 years) white male and the only other health problem I've got is Crohns that's been inactive for about 8 years. I've had three major bowel resections due to the Crohn's over the last 30 years.

Both my folks and 2 uncles died of one form of cancer(Dad=bladder,uncles= kidney,Mom= bone).

Think I said earlier my PSA went from low normal to 6.4 in one year and DRE identified lumps in both lobes. Biopsy cqme back positive in all 18 samples. One of the scans identified somethine in my left kidney that they are looking at Monday with and IVP but Doc said it def wasn't cancer (some good news).

My Urologist won't recommend knife or radiation--he says I have to make informed choice and he will "execute" my wishes (gallows humor).

I meet with the Radiaion Oncologist next Friday to talk about gettig his silver bullet treatment.

I'm doing a John Kerry flip-flop for now--surgery v radiation v surgery ad nauseum.

I've got an intake appointment at Moffett Cancer Center in Tampa in the works with the Chairman of the Urological Oncology Department.

I'm leaning towards Moffeet because I've got a lot of family in Tampa that can help me with the recoop period after surgery. I have fonally found a second reason not to be single -- after al these years.

TO close this reply--I was extremely hesitant to start this thread because it's so damned peronal and I was concerned that folks migh be offended by the topic or view me as a puss for even bringing up personal problems.

Guess I underestimated the issue and the general good nature of the boating community--

THanks Again--
Old 02-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Poorsche- I don't have any well saged advice for you on this. Fortunately that is the one type of cancer that hasn't hit my family. The best I can do for you is pray as I'm sure that most everyone else on the board is doing for you right now. But just by reading this thread, your hopes and spirits should be just a little bit higher. It seems there is a really high recovery rate! Any good news helps.

Keep us updated

Terra and Sean
Old 02-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you the best and don't anyone ever feel that if they need to vent about something that they shouldn't do it here. I don't post much(but I read a lot) but it certainly seems that there are an above average amount of great people on this board and if someone was ever offended about someone reaching out for alittle help, guidance, support, etc than I probably wouldn't care much of their opinion. Good Luck
Bill

Quick Reply: Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.