Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97179-not-sure-about-prostate-cancer.html)

cuda 02-25-2005 09:21 PM

Re: Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

Poorsche, I'd take any option not to go under the knife if possible. Let us know what you decide. You've got a large family here pulling for you.

rbtnt 02-25-2005 09:22 PM

Poorsche,

My brother has been battling it for 4 years now. His first doctor should have treated him sooner than he did and this has caused numerous complications.

Here is a link to my home page that has a link to my cancer page that has 9 links to different information on Prostate cancer. Lots of different treatments available and the links on my site talk about many of them.

www.mtboats.com

Be sure to do a lot of research and do it fast and I would get at least 3 doctor/surgeon opinions.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

SOX 02-25-2005 10:22 PM

Poorsche,

First off I hope you make a full & speedy recovery.

My father was diagnosed almost two years ago. Somehow even with regular check ups and PSA's it wasn't discovered until it was in it's worst stage of Cancer. It had spread to five lymph nodes and left a tumor in his bladder. By the grace of God my neighbor is a O.R. nurse for the Chief of urology at John Hopkins and was able to pull some strings to get my dad into see the right Dr's. To make a long story short, he had regular radiation on all Cancer areas, Hormone therapy (to shrink the prostate) and the tumor in the bladder removed. It has been a long road for my dad but he is almost cancer free!!! :D My recommendation is to educate yourself as much as possible (as you already have begun) and don't settle for the first option of treatment. If my dad stayed with his first doctor he may already be dead. The first Dr. only wanted to treat the prostate cancer and get to the other problems later :mad: WTF

If you can swing a trip to John's Hopkins I would highly recommend it. I believe they are #1 in urology and #2 for Cancer in the world (or something like that... still damn good)

Good luck and if you have any more detailed questions about my dad's case please feel free to contact me

God Bless,

Rob

Pantera1 02-25-2005 10:25 PM

Stay up ..and kick its ass .. I know two guys that had it ..not sure what they elected for but both are clean and healthy ..

fatdaddy 02-25-2005 11:23 PM

Poorsche, be strong, we're all here pulling for you.

mopower 02-26-2005 10:58 AM

Poorsche,
I wouldn't worry about airing your dirty laundry here. We may not be experts on every subject , but there are a lot of years of lifes experience's that may help to steer you in the right direction.
And by the way , most people I've known , have done very well with prostate cancer.

cookee 02-26-2005 11:59 AM

Poorsche,

All the best with this - I had Testicular Cancer in 1988 and I have been lucky enough to have come through completely unscathed if a little one sided down there! I think most people know someone who has gone through something like this and I for one have never had a problem discussing it, especially if it helps someone going through a similar experience.

Poorsche 03-01-2005 01:40 PM

Again many thanks to everyone who took the time to comment and offer information and support--here's a quick status report.

I've been accepted for intake review on March 9 at Moffett Cancer Center in Tampa with the Chairman of the Urology Dept. For me this is more than a God-send because my brother and his family lives in Tampa and he's been treated there for the last 8 months.

Film at 11--as Dan Rather used to say--
:evilb: