Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97184-boating-great-lakes-offshore.html)

Ms PatriYacht 02-25-2005 07:25 AM

Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

This question was sort of raised on the Mitcher T thread. It seems that some of our coastal members think that the name Chicago Offshore is not appropriate because Chicago is not on the coast. Last I heard Lake Mi has thousands of mile of shore line. Whats your opinion?

CIG3 02-25-2005 07:28 AM

Re: Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

I'll put a Great Lakes boater up against any ocean boater any day. They may look small on the map but can be viscious. I think the Offshore term is acceptable.

CigDaze 02-25-2005 07:32 AM

Well, it's not onshore, so yes. :D :D

off·shore (ôf-shôr)
adj.

1. Moving or directed away from the shore: an offshore wind.
2.Located at a distance from the shore: an offshore mooring; offshore oil-drilling platforms.
3. Located or based in a foreign country and not subject to tax laws: offshore bank accounts; offshore investments.

cashbrain05 02-25-2005 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by CIG3
I'll put a Great Lakes boater up against any ocean boater any day. They may look small on the map but can be viscious. I think the Offshore term is acceptable.

Ain't that the truth...
Let's not forget what kind of boats they are....
Offshore Powerboats :rolleyes:

JUSTONCE 02-25-2005 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
This question was sort of raised on the Mitcher T thread. It seems that some of our coastal members think that the name Chicago Offshore is not appropriate because Chicago is not on the coast. Last I heard Lake Mi has thousands of mile of shore line. Whats your opinion?

Ask the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Formula Outlaw 02-25-2005 07:43 AM

I would certainly think so. It gets rough enough to break ships apart, I'd call that rough enough to call it "offshore". Just my two cents.

cashbrain05 02-25-2005 07:47 AM

I have old footage of Betty Smith(after a race),when she broke 2 ribs and said that the water was the roughest she had ever been in...big washboard water..it is brutal

JUSTONCE 02-25-2005 07:53 AM

That is opening a can of worms, I know most of us have been beaten up pretty good on the lake at one time or another, and I'd rather run in big ocean swells then 6 foot washing machine slop that you can't read.my .02

Smitty 02-25-2005 07:54 AM

I remember a friend showing me a video of some "Offshore powerboat racing" where one of the boats broke into many pieces and sank immediately. Right after that there were no more races for quite some time on Lk Michigan. This was in the mid eighties. Only a few years ago did they start to have sanctioned racing again.

In that same racing video were comments from the racers that Lake Michigan was the toughest, most unpredictable waters that they had ever raced in. Some of them said they would not do it again because it was so hard on the equipment and racers. I have been out there many times and if you have never personally been on the big lake, then you have no grounds to pass judgement.

Audiofn 02-25-2005 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTONCE
Ask the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

So ya had one big boat sink how many years ago :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :drink: :drink: