Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tell me about... North Carolina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97397-tell-me-about-north-carolina.html)

dockrocker 02-28-2005 08:20 PM

Tell me about... North Carolina

Found out my brother is planning to move to North Carolina. Not sure just where, but the whole thing has the Mrs and I thinking about the southland again. I found some interesting job leads in Charlotte and Raleigh - wondering if any OSO'rs can give me the scoop on these areas (or other good ones as well).

Also, what is the drive time to Trick Marine from these places? :D

t500hps 02-28-2005 08:32 PM

Re: Tell me about... North Carolina

I'm in VA, my sister-in-law lives in Charlotte and my cousins all live in the Raleigh area. That state is long!!! alot of difference across the state...and I hope you like nascar! In laws like Charlotte, but suprised the schools aren't that great. (now the are using private schools) Several good size lakes in that area, Outer Banks is a 7-8 HOUR drive for them! Cousin also like Raleigh, but aren't boaters so no info to report. The far western part of the state brings back memories of the movie "deliverence".

Waterfoul 02-28-2005 08:35 PM

Hey boy, you got a pretty mouth. Squeal like a pig for me! Ssssssssoooooooooowwweeeeeeee!!!!!!!

clearcut3 02-28-2005 08:39 PM

Info: It's just north of the best state in the US :D

As for boating you would enjoy Charlotte a lot more. There are several big lakes in the Charlotte area. In the raleigh area they are few and far between. JMO

Racegirl3 02-28-2005 08:39 PM

Im in Ohio but Ive gone down to Charlotte/Mooresville every May for the last 5 years. Its changing/growing a bit fast for me. Lake Norman is a beautiful lake in the Mooresville/ Statesville area. Lots of boating and some go fasters. I think the area is easy to get around in and has alot of interesting things to offer. Culture, restaurants, concerts, street fairs ... and of course, my favorite Nascar. :cool:

mcraymond3 02-28-2005 08:45 PM

You can't go wrong in NC! Charlotte and Raleigh are both great cities. Raleigh is only 2 hours from the beach where we boat. You would not be dissappointed in either place.

Ca$hed Out 02-28-2005 09:05 PM

While I agree with Clearcut about better lakes in Charlotte, there are still 2 good lakes about 45 minutes north of Raleigh - Kerr Lake (Buggs Island) and Lake Gaston. Buggs has over 800 miles of shoreline and is a great boating lake. Unfortunately, it is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers so development is minimal. Gaston is more popular but considerably smaller. You would enjoy both however, the big boys are all on Lake Norman and Lake Murray.

jayboat 02-28-2005 09:26 PM

Some of the most beautiful coastline on the planet. Outer Banks, Hatteras, Okracoke is like another world. I lived near Wrightsville Beach for ten years- plenty to do on the water, and the fishing is good if you're into that.

Reggie is just up the road as well. :D

mikes280 02-28-2005 10:15 PM

Charlotte is two hrs. from the mountains if you like to ski and aboout three hrs. from the beach in S.C. lots of good boating and a lot more good people and you dont have to squeal like a pig

offthefront 03-01-2005 07:37 AM

state income tax ?