Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sarasota area boaters, could use your help... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97495-sarasota-area-boaters-could-use-your-help.html)

Donzi Corleone 03-03-2005 09:56 PM

Re: Sarasota area boaters, could use your help...

Its a shame they dont let those of us who use the waters (boaters) to decide on what rules and regulations we feel are appropiate for conditions. People are making desions that dont even use the waterways. The vote for water rules and regulations should be for the ones that it affects not someone 10 to 30 miles inland who never navigates are waterways to decide. We will always be out numberd, untill only the boater will vote on issues pertaining to waterways and navigation.

Dean Ferry 03-04-2005 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
Its a shame they dont let those of us who use the waters (boaters) to decide on what rules and regulations we feel are appropiate for conditions. People are making desions that dont even use the waterways. The vote for water rules and regulations should be for the ones that it affects not someone 10 to 30 miles inland who never navigates are waterways to decide. We will always be out numberd, untill only the boater will vote on issues pertaining to waterways and navigation.

How about the fact that someone from France can Join the $MC make a BIG $$ Donation, which goes to the $MC lawyers, and does nothing to help the Manatees, BUT it does allow the $MC to sue the state of Fl. , the Federal Gov't and all other $MC opponents! :mad: And more Manatee Zones are added to FL. waterways almost daily.
MD

Formula Outlaw 03-04-2005 08:28 AM

IN MY OPINION, one word best describes the Save the Manatee Club:

ZEALOTS.

They loudly proclaim their "view" as the only view irregardless of any research which might contradict their claims. Their point on the building of private docks: "A boat traveling to and from that dock means one more chance a manatee might be hit by that boat". Of course the fact that 85/90 % of manatee/boat related fatalities are caused by larger commercial vessels has NOTHING to do with their viewpoint. It's ludicrous.

The next thing they'll go after is the launch ramps, because "every boat that is launched would mean one more chance a manatee may be hit". They would much rather see a multi multi billion dollar industry go belly up than to lose one of those mammals that aren't even from Florida. I have nothing against the manatee, I even admit to enjoying swimming with them in Crystal River. But what the Save the Manatee Club is doing is as wrong as wrong gets.

And if the boating public does not start to fight this organization, boating as we know it WILL cease to exist. Make no mistake about that.

Dean Ferry 03-04-2005 08:55 AM

Formula Outlaw,
They are already blocking boat ramps from being built, at least here in Brevard County, they have stopped 2 ramps from being built! :mad:
It's getting worse everyday!
Dean

Formula Outlaw 03-04-2005 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Formula Outlaw,
They are already blocking boat ramps from being built, at least here in Brevard County, they have stopped 2 ramps from being built! :mad:
It's getting worse everyday!
Dean

This is exactly what I am talking about. If we want to continue to enjoy boating, here and now is where we make our stand. "They" don't stop, "They" don't rest, they are coming after us 24/7 and the only way to stop it is to be willing to stand up and be counted.

This is the original, "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem".

Every single boater in our area that enjoys boating really needs to be there and support all of our cause. We can't leave it up to a "few". ALL of us have to be willing to take the time and show up. If we don't do it now, every bit of time we wait, then at some point it will be too late.

If you are in our area try to make it.

Dean Ferry 03-04-2005 05:56 PM

I'm going to travel from Ft. Walton Beach, to Merritt Island, (~500 Miles) to be there for the Barge Canal rally! :eek: It's the only way to fight the $MC, BECAUSE we can't match their propaganda machine or their $$! :mad:
Dean

vogellvp 03-04-2005 07:14 PM

That is outstanding!! I am from Ft. Walton Beach, born and raised. Didnt leave there until I was 21 years old. I am the coordinator for the rally happening in Palm Beach County. I am so pleased to see that the boaters are standing up around the state to show $$MC that they are playing with fire. The marine industry brings over 14 billion dollars a year to this great state and we will be damned if they are going take that away from us. DOCKS DONT KILL MANATEES! :mad:

Formula Outlaw 03-04-2005 07:20 PM

Allow me to light the match, PLEASE......:drink: :drink:

Formula Outlaw 03-05-2005 08:36 AM

ttt

Dean Ferry 03-05-2005 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by vogellvp
That is outstanding!! I am from Ft. Walton Beach, born and raised. Didnt leave there until I was 21 years old. I am the coordinator for the rally happening in Palm Beach County. I am so pleased to see that the boaters are standing up around the state to show $$MC that they are playing with fire. The marine industry brings over 14 billion dollars a year to this great state and we will be damned if they are going take that away from us. DOCKS DONT KILL MANATEES! :mad:

Thanks, I'm up here in FWB, out working on Hurlburt AFB, and I live on Merritt Island, BUT I WOULDN'T miss this rally for anything. We have made the the last three rallies in the barge canal. We, (The wife and I) sent $500 to CFFW for the first LAWSUIT filed against the FFWCC/$MC back in 2000, which we lost. And we would gladly step up again. It really pisses me off having to idle 45-55 minutes from our dock, when it used to be a 15-20 minute idle! The bottom line is IT'S NOT RECREATIONAL BOATERS HITTING MANATEES, it's the commercial tugs, barges, etc that are killing Manatees!!:mad:
Dean