Notices

Advice Needed

Old 03-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed

Hello,

I have posted once or twice on here and have recevied great adivce so far. I am a Marine stationed in North Carolina and I am renting a place on the intercoastal that has its own marina. I have posted before on what type of boat I should get, and I am looking at getting a 20 Outlaw or something of the like. Here is my problem: I have no tow vehicle, only a vette. I will only be here for about the next two to three years. What are the long term affects of leaving a boat in the water like this? I have looked into bottom paint, and the advice I have been given thus far is that it kills the resell. And buying a lift seems out of the question, because it is not my property, etc. What would you do? Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Advice Needed

Originally Posted by c5marine
Hello,

I have posted once or twice on here and have recevied great adivce so far. I am a Marine stationed in North Carolina and I am renting a place on the intercoastal that has its own marina. I have posted before on what type of boat I should get, and I am looking at getting a 20 Outlaw or something of the like. Here is my problem: I have no tow vehicle, only a vette. I will only be here for about the next two to three years. What are the long term affects of leaving a boat in the water like this? I have looked into bottom paint, and the advice I have been given thus far is that it kills the resell. And buying a lift seems out of the question, because it is not my property, etc. What would you do? Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!
If you cant find high and dry boat service then you will have to bottom paint.You can always have the paint removed.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for a Hi-Dri facility.......makes it easy!! Or get a hitch for the Vette
Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

C5,
Try not let keep a boat in the water. It will destroy it, and possibly turn away a potential buyer when you want to sell. See if one of your buddies has a truck to tow with--just invite him when you go boating, or swap vehicles with him when you need the truck...(I used to do this) See if your base has a free storage facility for you there.

Good luck

Semper Fi
Old 03-06-2005, 07:01 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

maybe you could pic up a used hoist.
i have an airdock... functions well and is cheap... i'm sure there is a used one around somewhere.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:23 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The high and dry is the best solution. If you must bottom paint a boat, buy one that has already been done. As a few already said it kills the resale. You should be able to get one already done (since thats what you need) pretty cheap. When I bought my 312 a few months ago the dealer had a Formula 311 w/ 99 502 Mags that had been bottom painted. I believe I could have gotten that boat in the high 20K's.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where in north carlolina are you? I can tell you where the nearest dry stack is, I work for Wiggins Lift we build the lifts for them.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the Vette.....Boats more important, and get something at least 24ft.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell the vette! Hahaha, not yet. I am located in Sneads Ferry. When talkin about a high and dry, are you talking about the stacked storage? If so, there is one very close to me, but I would assume it would be somewhat costly?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c5marine
Sell the vette! Hahaha, not yet. I am located in Sneads Ferry. When talkin about a high and dry, are you talking about the stacked storage? If so, there is one very close to me, but I would assume it would be somewhat costly?
They charge by the foot usually.20 ft. boat should not be bad.It is the most hassle free way to go boating.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.