Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nada Used Boat Values, how accurate? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97665-nada-used-boat-values-how-accurate.html)

East Coast B 03-04-2005 06:25 PM

Nada Used Boat Values, how accurate?

I'm looking at a used boat and looking at NADA, it gives you Low Retail and Avg Retail values.

When buying from a private party, a boat that doesn't have most options and in very good condition, relative to NADA, what price should I aim for? Of course I want to get it for nothing, I want a good deal and not looking to cheat anyone, but what is the market like right now and how low should I be looking to go. He's asking about 10 grand above the average retail NADA number and 15 above Low Nada. It's been on the market for a while. There is also a trailer with it, so that's about 2 grand in his favor. This is an under 50k boat. I know it's buying time for boats, but then again the market doesn't seem that good, I've been seeing boats sitting for a long time.

Are there any boat brands that tend to go for above the NADA values?

Confused and looking for your insights.... Thanks!

rush 03-04-2005 06:51 PM

Re: Nada Used Boat Values, how accurate?

I usually look in the classified ads on here and Boat Trader to see what other people are asking for similiar types of boats. And then try to steal it! Just kidding!!

GLH 03-04-2005 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by rush
I usually look in the classified ads on here and Boat Trader to see what other people are asking for similiar types of boats. And then try to steal it! Just kidding!!

That's the way.

If you take NADA for values I want to sell you my boat... It's great for loans cause banks use it.

East Coast B 03-04-2005 07:41 PM

Did that and came up empty.

fstboater 03-04-2005 07:42 PM

How bad do you want it check loan value and go from there NADA some boats bring more in different places. Hi book is very clean low hours most books list options separate add for trailer make a offer on the low side. What power does it have is it big enough drives tarps upgraded radio ect compare it with some other boats in the same class. And don't get upside down in it unless you just half to have it lots of boats for sale just take your time and find a nice one.

t500hps 03-04-2005 09:46 PM

I have bought a number of express cruisers that were totally loaded for the low book value in that price range. (some even lower) If it doesn't have many options, but is in good condition, I would say stick with low book even considering the trailer. Anything more is just because you want THAT boat.

tiufb 03-05-2005 12:04 AM

I noticed when booking out a boat the other day, that the add for the upgraded motor was more than you could buy the motor for brand new from Mercury.

CAP071 03-05-2005 01:03 AM

I usually look in the classified ads on here and Boat Trader to see what other people are asking for similiar types of boats.

happy hours 03-05-2005 08:17 AM

I agree with above folks, BTW: boattrader.com has a useful pricer checker where you can see the history of simuar boats. I trust that more than NADA. Like anything boats are worth what people will pay for them.

Harper220 03-05-2005 11:49 AM

Use NADA for a guide line... Then price similar boats and add in the options... Engines, hydraulic steering, big stereo, gauges etc... :D