Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Parking the boat for a season or two (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97708-parking-boat-season-two.html)

MnFastBoat 03-05-2005 06:55 PM

Parking the boat for a season or two

Anyone else ever thought of, or actualy have, parked thier boat for a long period of time for whatever reasons?

Thinking about parking the boat due to high cost of gas. Both truck and boat usage. :(
Thinking that if I do not spend the several grand on gas this year along with the upgrades I am looking at doing and put the money to other uses I will be in a much better position next year.
Sorry, but I just do not make the $$ as some people and just finally getting all the CC paid off for over the years.
Kinda getting a nice feeling of have a several grand sitting in the bank for no reason. The last year is the first in over ten that I have not lived check to check.
It is nice knowing that I do not have to look at my bank statement every day to see if I can afford to go out for a drink or buy dinner out.
But now with spring coming i am looking at dropping several grand into the boat.
Then wanting several grand to drop into a kitchen and house window remodel.
Then to top off the truck needs upgrading :(
I am afraid of getting back to check to check just to go boating.
Sorry, just venting on what to spend the $$ on and what to save it on.

Indy 03-05-2005 07:02 PM

Re: Parking the boat for a season or two

I actually sold my boat to put myself in a better position for the future. I'll be back into one in the next couple of years and I'll have saved enough to buy it cash, and will have finished some major remodel projects on the house. This is the first time in 35 years I've not had a boat, but it'll be worth it in the long run not to have that noose (payment) hanging over me. I'll also have more $$ in the bank than when I did when I had the boat...it's torture, but wise.

US1 Fountain 03-05-2005 07:27 PM

Do you need to drop several grand into the boat this yr? Don't park it, just cut back on it. You still have the ins and payments(?) The amount of gas used can be controlled.

Titan 03-05-2005 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Do you need to drop several grand into the boat this yr? Don't park it, just cut back on it. You still have the ins and payments(?) The amount of gas used can be controlled.

I agree what is the purpose of making the payments if you do not use it. Sell the boat if that is the case. But if you keep it moderate yourself. By the way all boats are pretty good on gas when you stay out of the secondary's!!!!!

h2owarrior 03-05-2005 07:51 PM

I have been without a boat for two years and it sucks. :mad:

Formula Outlaw 03-05-2005 08:07 PM

Mine sat on the trailer for 379 days because of the work I had to do to it, then work I wanted to do to it, complicated by a sixteen week kidney stone ordeal that hit me last May.

It helped just looking out the window and knowing that "someday" it would be back in the water.

Well I will say, that 379 days later, by the time I was 10 ft. away from the dock, all the 400 plus hours and all the money spent was forgotten. For the next six hours, the world was a perfect place.

Well at least until I got back to the ramp and ran into a very bad case of "floating trailer syndrome" complicated by a current that kept pushing the trailer under the dock.

It was worth it.

formula31 03-06-2005 07:40 AM

My outlook is a little different. Ive always tried to live on the philosopy that I might (heaven forbid) die tomorow, so have at it today. I also tried to go without a boat for a couple years after I sold my formula to help get rid of some debts but that didnt last long (2 months I think). Of course, the older I get, the more I realize that Ill have to work till I die because retirement isnt in the picture for me. Enjoy it while you can because no one knows what tomorow will bring.

Maritime_Eng 03-06-2005 10:41 AM

I couldn't agree more, Live for today!

GLH 03-06-2005 11:40 AM

Sell it then.

wantsa311 03-06-2005 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by formula31
Enjoy it while you can because no one knows what tomorow will bring.

I'm with dgduck; I couldn't agree more ... I'm not the original author of this but it just about sums it up:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"