Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GM DMax techs... First Service info please.. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97909-gm-dmax-techs-first-service-info-please.html)

Tim G. 03-09-2005 09:42 AM

GM DMax techs... First Service info please..

1 Attachment(s)
Well the dealers here are complete idiots.
I'm getting conflicting info on what is due at the first service.

The truck is an '04 with 6,500miles. The dash says 35% left on the oil, but I'll get it changed out as this is the first service...

What is due?? Just oil?
How much should I pay?
What oil are you guys using?
I'd do it myself, but there's 15 quarts in there...

I had a appointment this morning..but was late... I was driving north on I 95 and ran over a big rig tread. The thing got wedged in the RR leaf spring.... It took me 30 minutes to get it unstuck...
Got to the Chevy dealer... the WOMAN cam out and said Sorry, you missed your appointment... fug 'em.

OldSchool 03-09-2005 09:47 AM

Re: GM DMax techs... First Service info please..

Don't know about the oil, I'm only up to 560 miles.

What size tires are those????

Tim G. 03-09-2005 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by craig223
What size tires are those????

285/75-16 BFG ATs.
They're a bit big for the stock wheel width. No, they don't rub when turning. I haven't jumped a railroad track yet to see if they rub when the suspension botoms... :rolleyes:

I really should have put 265s on it.

The bigger tires make a world of difference in how the truck drives. Those stock tires are about as thin as a quarter...
The big tires allow you to cruise the highway at 2,000 rpm, which greatly increases milage.... it keeps the turbo out of boost at cruise...

New Rancho shocks and a programmer are next.

stecz20 03-09-2005 12:26 PM

poor guys, that steak is going to be good..

berns29scarab 03-09-2005 02:57 PM

i just purchased an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab 4X4 Cummins with 59K on her. Day after just for peace of mind i did oil, filter, and fuel filter change. I used 2 1/2 qts lucas oil treatment, 8 1/2 qts Rotella, and Napa Gold filter for both oil and fuel. Next time around gonna give Amsoil a whirl.

Rippem 03-09-2005 03:05 PM

Change the oil/filter now! 10 quarts with filter BTW. 6500 miles on the first is too long. There's casting flash bits, sand fron the sand casting, bearing coating, and all kinds of trash that don't get loose and suspended in the oil 'till temp cycles and load. I changed mine at 1000, and again at 3000 after a 90 mph drive to lake cumberland and hauling back a 35' Fountain. I'll change it again here in a month or so because I do alot of short trips to work and the temps are 50 one day and 15 the next here all winter.

Delo 400, Rotella, or any quality 15-40 diesel rated engine oil with one of the few quality filters (Wix/Baldwin/ect.). Don't even think about synthetic yet, that engine is far from "broken-in". Change the Allison spin on filter now also. less than $8 at an Allison dealer...hit the phonebook. The stealer will hit you for $25 for that filter. Takes 5 minutes to change. Look for the washer looking magnet on top of the filter. Check your rear diff! They are typically LOW. Should be 1/4 - 3/8 below fill plug opening. I'll bet you can't even touch it! Use GM "grapejuice" Spec'd by Eaton. Not cheap about $18-20 a quart. Full change (3.5-4 qts.) once within 5K or after first BIG tow...then it's lube for life or 100K. Do it yourself man, these truck are easy to do fluid maintenence on.

JPD Motorsports 03-09-2005 05:33 PM

I change mine every 3000 with shell rotella t in it. would also do the rear end as gm has been known to short change the fluids in there. then do a fuel filter around 10k this what i done to mine with no troubles out of it and have 36k on the the odo

Steet 03-09-2005 07:44 PM

You guys amaze me. I change my oil when I think about it. In my vehicles. I try to change it at 10,000 miles and the boat I try to change it at 50 to 60 hrs depending on usage. Oil does not break down. It will still lubricate. I have seen test done with no oil changes for 100,000 miles and just the filter and absolutely no difference than the ones changed every 3000 miles. you are wasting money and precious oil.
If oil is not contaminated by gas, as in blower engines, then changing the oil is of no value.

PS. My friend whom is a mechanic by trade, now has 361 hours on his boat and has never changed the oil. He put moble 1 oil in it when he bought it and has never changed it to date. It is a 2000 Ski Natique with a 350 and runs the crap out of it. He said he will never change it because he believes he can run it over 2000 hrs without changing it. I tend to agree

Tim G. 03-09-2005 08:10 PM

I neglected to mention that I let the oil out at 1,000... I didn't do the filter..just a quick change on the oil...
So the oil in there has 5500 on it.

My last two Chevys were 454s... I did the oil every 5-6k..and it probably would have been fine to 10k... The 454 doesn't rev or build much heat, so no big deal. I bet I could have done the oil in it every 20k and not noticed one bit of difference... But mentally I just can't do that.

3,000 is excessive.

Ill let the DMax go 10k once it's broken in...
Diesels contaminate their oil faster than gas engines.. but there's a lot more oil in a diesel sump than a gasser anyway...

OldSchool 03-10-2005 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Steet
You guys amaze me. I change my oil when I think about it. In my vehicles. I try to change it at 10,000 miles and the boat I try to change it at 50 to 60 hrs depending on usage. Oil does not break down. It will still lubricate. I have seen test done with no oil changes for 100,000 miles and just the filter and absolutely no difference than the ones changed every 3000 miles. you are wasting money and precious oil.
If oil is not contaminated by gas, as in blower engines, then changing the oil is of no value.

PS. My friend whom is a mechanic by trade, now has 361 hours on his boat and has never changed the oil. He put moble 1 oil in it when he bought it and has never changed it to date. It is a 2000 Ski Natique with a 350 and runs the crap out of it. He said he will never change it because he believes he can run it over 2000 hrs without changing it. I tend to agree

Your kidding, right???

I'm an oil changing MoFo, it's cheap insurance and I've had nothing but good luck with my vehicles. To each his own!!!