Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many parents let their kids take the boats out? >

How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Notices

How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Today with liability and insurance issues would be tough would not have any problems with kid in a small whaler or the like but the big boat no way insuraance is just the first of the issues with that
I know it was a different era, but back in the mid-late 60's we didn't have insurance on our boats. Dad did on the big Chris Craft but not on the little ones I had. They could do more damage to themselves than to anything I'd hit.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sure, I was allowed to take out the boat when I was 7.
NOT!!!
Attached Thumbnails How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-38-magnum2.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in 6th grade probably 12 years old, my parents got Brock and I a 13 foot Boston Whaler with a 60 evinrude on it, we had it painted exactly like my dad's twin engine center console and we drove it around every saturday and sunday but we had a restriction on where we could go.

For some odd reason we've always been a 2 boat family, Brock and I have been through some serious boats. We had a Deck boat with a 150 Yamaha, we had a twin engine jet boat, we had a Cuda (center console) with a 200 merc on it. Then we started using my dad's boats which were 35 foot concept with twin 300 Mercs (which we took out every weekend), then a 30 foot Spectre with twin 200's (which we never took out), then another 30 foot concept with twin 250's(which we took out every weekend), and then another 30 foot spectre with twin 540 hp mercs. But he only let us take that one out by ourselves a couple of times, probably because after the second time we blew a drive!

Now he's got a flats boat! And I guess he keeps the adrenaline going by racing during the season.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i was 9 we got a 13 whaler. That summer i passed the safety course and got my certificate. Started taking the boat out alone that sumer. I grew up on boats though. Learned to drive my dads 30' scarab as soon as i could soo over the bow. Nver took that one out alone though. at 13 upgraded to a 16' whaler bowrider. at 18 a 28 pantera. now at 21 its a 36 nortech. Ive never had any incidents on the water. Its not about age, its respect for the boat and being safe. At 16 i was also borrowing my dads vette. I never had an accident, never got a speeding ticket. Yeah i thought i was invicible, but i also knew the consequences of doing something stupid. If i ever have a kid ill probaly do the same. Teach em the best you can and if hes ready let em have fun. if he does somethign stupid, then its the parents fault for not making sure he knew the consequences and not teaching correctly.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

Well said about the teaching, definitely lacking today.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

started in a flat bottom gamefisher rowboat pretty much once i could lift an oar, added an old 4hp evinrude the next year, 2 years later got a v-bottom gamefisher and a new 6hp yamaha (which my dad still has and starts on the first pull every time). When i was 11 he came home from the boat show with a 17ft bayliner for me. i know its a pos now, but it was the chit for an 11 year old. when i was 15, he started letting me take his boat (24ft searay).

Those were the good old days. Now when i borrow his boat to take some buddies out fishing for the day, it costs me $500 in fuel, and a wax job.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 AM
45 Lip Ship / 900 Zul's
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure I let my kids take out my boat all the time.
Here is a pic on my boys running my boat at the age 15 & 11

Rick OSG
Attached Thumbnails How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-joey-running-big-boat.jpg   How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-joey-running-canyon-express.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

I also grew up on boats. Spent summers on my grandfathers 36 Trojan just basically helping him and helping with all the maintenance of an older boat. I learned real early that boating was a high maintenance hobby. My father always let me and my brothers take out his 19 Galaxy runabout after we hit about 12 yrs. old. Same as the rest of you guys with the respect the water or the privilege would be gone. My 8 yr.old daughter has driven my boats at 70 mph with me behind her and loves every minute. Wants to go faster. Its just a matter of getting them used to it and teaching them the correct safety precautions. If she wants to continue learning I would consider getting her a small 8-12' boat for her to take out by herself when shes ready.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

When I turned 16, I took the boat out all the time... nearly every weekend. But it was a 19' Glastron. 185 hp I/O. Plus, I had to trailer it to the dock.
Oddly enough, I was allowed to take the boat, but I wasn't allowed to touch the truck. So I had to get my own truck.

When my kids get to the age, I just may buy them a boat so I don't have to worry if they are stealing mine.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Registered

The first boat I took out was our 21 Donzi with a blower that was fun then we had a 35 cafe racer that my dad let me take out. We sold both of those and on occasion he would let me take out our ocean and cruise it up to the cottage for the weekend. My dad has been very cool with us kids and I am going to be the same way. I think that it gives the kids something to look forward to and show their responsibality to the parents.

Quick Reply: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.