Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Got my new insurance quote, Want to buy a Motion? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98145-got-my-new-insurance-quote-want-buy-motion.html)

Tres 04-25-2005 01:39 PM

Re: Got my new insurance quote, Want to buy a Motion?

Not a problem, in fact I have to do a class in Austin sometim in May, maybe get aboard one of those classes. Or just come out to Lake Harris, that is the main Lake for our school. Water there is generally calm. Just need to schedule early.

offthefront 04-25-2005 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
I wonder what it would take to Self-Insure ??? :confused:

Wonder what it would take to create our own OSO insurance ?

Shane 04-26-2005 09:29 PM

When you own the boat outright, liability only isn't to bad. That is one of the reasons I keep my 24. I would LOVE to own a 32, even a 28. But when I look at the numbers here is what I see. My boat and $50,000...$60,000...$70,000.....Then I see the alternative of boat payments if I don't lay out the cash, which right now just is not even close to feasible. With payments comes MORE INSURANCE! Personally, I buy what I can afford. To me that means what I can pay for cash. Financing things to MAKE money is one thing, but for fun...not for me. Those of you that can afford the payments and make them, more power to ya. I couldn't sleep at night with a note like some of you have in a non-appreciating asset that has HUGE liabilities with it. Someday I will have a bigger boat, but I have to be able to afford it first.

Von Bongo 04-27-2005 09:22 PM

I am all for driving schools etc and would take one if they get close by. Are the insurance companies recognizing your school and what discount is provided for passing? I'm sure its worth it without an insurance break but seems like something needs to be done in conjunction with the insurance companies to start improving safety and therefore premiums.

Tres 04-28-2005 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
I am all for driving schools etc and would take one if they get close by. Are the insurance companies recognizing your school and what discount is provided for passing? I'm sure its worth it without an insurance break but seems like something needs to be done in conjunction with the insurance companies to start improving safety and therefore premiums.

10-15% from Markel. It pays for it self in 2 years. Again it may even save your life.

lonestar382 04-28-2005 08:04 AM

Tres, when is the Austin class? I would definitely consider driving down for that.

Corey

ernie davis 04-28-2005 08:33 AM

I'm with Shane.
Sadly, If I can't afford to pay cash for it, I probably can't begin to afford the payment and the Insurance.
And I've said this before, and you may not believe, but State Farm Ins. has always treated me like gold and charged me reasonable rates. :chimp:
Oh the joy's of owning 20 year old boats........sure those are stock MercCruisers in there :D :drink: :D

Tres 04-28-2005 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by lonestar382
Tres, when is the Austin class? I would definitely consider driving down for that.

Corey

May 23-24 as of now just waiting for all the sudents to confirm. If more students come it will be 25 and 26.