Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what drives for 650 -750 hp (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98230-what-drives-650-750-hp.html)

cigarette1 03-14-2005 07:55 AM

Re: what drives for 650 -750 hp

Originally Posted by peterson602
I am wondering if on a 38 foot boat with 650-750hp twins, is there a bravo style drive that you would be comfortable with. If not what would you be comfortable with through a bravo style drive, ie XR, Imco, Max, Teague etc...

Depends on the boat. What could work on a lighter twinstep may not be enough for a heavier straight bottom boat.

G

Biggus 03-14-2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Titan
Biggus

I have been following your story here on OSO. I currently have a 29 Progression. Was considering the Konrad because of the tranny in the box. For the simplicity of not having to moe the engine foward. But I am planning 800+hp. What will the Konrad 540hp hold?

Titan,

The Konrad 540 is rated at a very conservative 740 ft lbs. The 540 has been tested behind 1200 hp without failure. They are extremely rugged, having been designed for military use where failure is not an option. I feel (from experience) that the Konrad 540 would make a very good choice and save you a lot on $$ in the long run.

Kurt

wwwTOPDJcom 03-14-2005 03:35 PM

if Konrad gets there bolt in replacement for Bravo ready to go it will be a good drive for higher than then 525hp, I think the standoff boxes would be the way to go if you cannot move the engines foward

Rice Hauler 03-14-2005 04:51 PM

I agree with all of the above mentioned comments regarding type of bottom etc.
But one option that has not been mentioned yet is to do an Arneson ASD-6.
If it is compatible with your boat and bottom it may be a great alternative that would be "Faster" than any of the other options due to less drag. And also give you better turning and control due to the standoff.
Just a thought.
Best,
Rice Hauler

Titan 03-14-2005 07:29 PM

In my application I have a single engine 29 V Hull no steps. So an ASD 6 would be impossible around a dock. I also want a standoff box so the imco is looking to be the best right now. I am very curious to see the technology grow on the Konrads. If they can come out with a reliable shiftable transmission imagine the speeds you will start seeing from high hp mtors???

Rik 03-14-2005 08:31 PM

Impossible to dock?

I have many boats with single engine applications both smaller and larger than your particular boat and they all eventually have to dock and trailer their boats.

It is no where near as bad as you might have heard it to be, and what percentage of your time do you think you will be docking the boat?

Our ASD6 kit comes with a standoff box