Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sarasota, you ready? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98467-sarasota-you-ready.html)

Johno 04-02-2005 11:21 AM

Re: Sarasota, you ready?

Just went by the beach, it's nasty out there. Even if they ran the ICW, Tampabay crossing would also suck.

ApachePete 04-02-2005 11:44 AM

Seas 9 to 11'.

The run has been cancelled all together. Some said they might try a fun-run this PM if the wind dies down, but it's actually picking up!

We went over from Siesta in the Formula at 10 this AM. Most of the boats were still covered.

The bay was runable, but very choppy: I'd guess 3 to 4's, tightly spaced (it's only 10' deep). Quite wet at 50, although running south with the waves was close to being fun.

I would think those 50' NorTechs and Outerlimits could handle it, but sure not outside. In fact, I doubt that they could make it out the passes, as it looked to be over 10's when we stuck our nose out.

Too bad: alot of fabulous machinery there! :( :(

Formula Outlaw 04-02-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Seas 9 to 11'.

The run has been cancelled all together. Some said they might try a fun-run this PM if the wind dies down, but it's actually picking up!

We went over from Siesta in the Formula at 10 this AM. Most of the boats were still covered.

The bay was runable, but very choppy: I'd guess 3 to 4's, tightly spaced (it's only 10' deep). Quite wet at 50, although running south with the waves was close to being fun.

I would think those 50' NorTechs and Outerlimits could handle it, but sure as not outside. In fact, I doubt that they could make it out the passes, as it looked to be over 10's when we stuck our nose out.

Too bad: alot of fabulous machinery there! :( :(

I saw you come into the basin in the Formula, couldn't hear it until you turned around to head out. That's a very quiet boat.

I went out to the Venice Jetties to check the seas on my way home and they were definitely over 10 ft. Second "biggest" Gulf waves I've ever seen, second only to one of the Hurricanes last year. That would have been just brutal on the equipment, even for those boats.

salesmanship 04-02-2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship
This morning's forcast for Saturday. Winds NW 20 -25 knots. Seas 6-9!
Anyone play golf?

Sorry for the accurate forcast.

ApachePete 04-02-2005 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=Formula Outlaw]I saw you come into the basin in the Formula, couldn't hear it until you turned around to head out. That's a very quiet boat.

Yep. Silent Choice does work.

One heck of a lot more acceptable to my wife and neighbors than my Apache with 1000SC's! Even with mufflers on the CMI Big-Tubes, I couldn't get out the harbor in Saugatuck without getting a ticket. No way in hell could I keep that here at the house here without getting shot.

I'm still amazed that the are (apparently) no noise restrictions down here. I hope they don't come, either. I sure loved hearing that 50 Nortech start up FOUR big blower motors this morning! The two motors sharing a single pair of ENORMOUS tail pipes is something to behold.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Formula Outlaw 04-02-2005 01:52 PM

Believe it or not, the OL sitting on the Nortech's left was louder. But at that level it's a moot point anyway.

No, we don't get hassled about noise, we just have the Manatee Zones to contend with. I've never heard of anyone getting a "noise ticket" in these parts. (knock on wood, knock knock knock)

BigSilverCat 04-02-2005 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
photos should be up on my site in a few minuites,

http://www.electronicenvironments.tv

so let me explain the next pic, Freedom (46' skater, Jimmy Lee) and color me bad (36' skater, vinnie) head out into the intercostal ( if you saw the waves tring to get out of the intercoastal you would under stand why) we are running back from having lunch and, color me bad can pull away pretty good from the 46 but we were patient, we get into a rough section of the intercoastal and bye bye, like they say size does matter. this is what we hit in the rough stuff

Michael Ward 04-02-2005 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
photos should be up on my site in a few minuites,

http://www.electronicenvironments.tv

so let me explain the next pic, Freedom (46' skater, Jimmy Lee) and color me bad (36' skater, vinnie) head out into the intercostal ( if you saw the waves tring to get out of the intercoastal you would under stand why) we are running back from having lunch and, color me bad can pull away pretty good from the 46 but we were patient, we get into a rough section of the intercoastal and bye bye, like they say size does matter. this is what we hit in the rough stuff

was Summer driving? The okies back home think that must be the case!! OU want some?!! :evilb:

Donzi Corleone 04-03-2005 09:20 AM

They need to move this event ahead 1 month. Every year we go through this with wind ,cool,cold fronts. One more month or even later into April things get summerlike.

Formula Outlaw 04-03-2005 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
They need to move this event ahead 1 month. Every year we go through this with wind ,cool,cold fronts. One more month or even later into April things get summerlike.

Frank I agree. May is usually one of the best months of the year here. No hurricanes, these northern fronts start slowing down and not getting down here thus Much less wind. I love May boating.

The OPBA Poker Run on April 30th should have some great great weather. Especially for your boat....:drink: :drink: