Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What the F&^% happened to GAS prices today!?!?!?!? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98563-what-f-%5E%25-happened-gas-prices-today.html)

woody1 03-17-2005 11:41 PM

Re: What the F&^% happened to GAS prices today!?!?!?!?

Station owners never made alot of money per gallon, all their money is made when you buy items in the store. For example Jewel food stores which owns the chicagoland food market, repeatedly beats the regular gas stations by huge margins 99% of the time knowing full well you will be buying other items with 200% markup. Hmmm on another note I have a 1400 mile drive tommorrow night from chicago to new york on a new boat i bought, so with my F-350 V10 Dually at 9-10 miles per gallon....................... :evilb:

POOL WHORE 03-17-2005 11:47 PM

I was running low on diesel today. Found a Citgo station and fueled up with 38 gallons at $2.67 per gallon! That's over a Ben Franklin for those of you slow at math. And I still didn't fill the tank of the F550.

MitchStellin 03-18-2005 01:17 AM

I put in 40 gals of Diesel today, first $100 tank in my life. The boat is long gone and I am glad, I will not have worry about gas this summer, the bike can go all weekend on 5 gallons. I predict the next world war will be over fuel and I am ready to start/fight it right now. F the towel heads, I say we take the dam oil, we were right on top of it in Iraq and we walked away. Now lets get the Alaskan rang open and make a move.

docmanrich37 03-18-2005 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by craig223
It's kind of weird Randy, I saw it for $2.429 about 1 mile down the road!!! :eek: The price of diesel seems to be all over the place. On the other hand, I'm spending 30-40 dollars less per week on fuel with the new truck! :drink: :drink: Technically, that makes my beer free. :drink: :drink:

Craig Technically you would have to drink less than $40 of beer to be free.

IceAngel 03-18-2005 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mwdill
i was told by a station owner (of the middle eastern origin) that he only makes .03 cents on a gallon of gas, :rolleyes:

Generally speaking what he told you is a bunch of crap M. They are notorious for raking customers over the coals at the pumps and in the store

The Middle Easter.....ummm....gentleman that I used to manage a truck stop for in TX sold his gas for a .07 cent per gallon profit, and couldn't see anything wrong with it...but he also wondered why I was not able to get more customers through the door :rolleyes:

Sean H 03-18-2005 07:14 AM

.07 cents on even 1.50 product isn't a huge margin.... means on the average consumer he would make about $1.40 on 20 gallons...

now if they were charging 15-20 percent margins... then i would start pointing the finger at them... most of your gas price is still taxes... :rolleyes:

Waterfoul 03-18-2005 07:17 AM

I was on my way to the rink last night, truck sitting at 1/4 tank and I passed a station still at $2.039 a gallon! What a deal!! I waited in line for 5 minutes and put $39 in my truck to fill it up. Station next door was at $2.259 and had 2 cars at it the whole time I was filling up.

And did I just say $2.03 was a deal?? What the F? I think we all know gas could be $1.75 a gallon and the oil companies would still rake in the dough. Fockers. Phuckers. How ever you want to spell it. :mad:

IceAngel 03-18-2005 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sean H
.07 cents on even 1.50 product isn't a huge margin.... means on the average consumer he would make about $1.40 on 20 gallons...

now if they were charging 15-20 percent margins... then i would start pointing the finger at them... most of your gas price is still taxes... :rolleyes:

While I agree with you that .07 is not a huge margin, generally speaking, gas stations and truck stops (especially truck stops) use gas as a draw to get more customers. Ideally you should charge between .02 and .03 over what you are paying for it, so you aren't going completely in the hole, and uses impulse buying as your money maker. Typically, a retail seller is making about .30 cents on a candy bar, if not more, and somewhere in that ball park on sodas. Not to mention, in truckstops where they are marking up essential items like tie downs, headlights, log books, etc...to astronomical prices because of the whole supply and demand law. It's the basic concept that Woody stated earlier....Get them in for the gas prices and proverbally rape them on the impulse buying.

Waterfoul 03-18-2005 08:19 AM

My brother-in-law used to manage all 3 shifts at the largest truck stop in Grand Rapids. He made .03 on gas and .05 on deisel. But, he had a big store too.... his margins on most things in the store were between 50% and 200%. I used to manage a restaurant, a nice family place. We made about 200% profit on fountain soda... for a to go order the cup costs more than the soda and ice inside it. And you wonder why most places offer free refils? You could not possibly drink enough soda at one meal to make the restaurant lose money on you. Fountain soda is a HUGE money maker for anyone who serves it. And truck stops and gas stations sell a LOT of it.

Airpacker 03-18-2005 08:24 AM

We have just been warned to expect a dollar a liter here this summer for regular 87 octane, up to 1.25 for premium. Thats 4 or 5 bucks canadian for a us gallon or about 3.60 to 4.00 USD per gallon. I would love to only have to pay 2 and change. Between filling the truck and the boat,( 500 liters) I am looking at $480.00 USD per fill up :0 of which about 200.00 is taxes. So who's screwing who?