Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Avanti 27................. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98654-avanti-27-a.html)

gofastwannabe 03-19-2005 08:23 AM

Avanti 27.................

Does anyone have any experience with the Avanti 27? How do they handle rough water, (big lake)? There is a hull for sale in my area with no motor or drive for 6900.00. It is an 89 model. It has the interior and k-plains, not sure about trailer. Any feedback on this as a project will be appreciated.

GO CARDS!

hpoffshore 03-19-2005 09:00 AM

Re: Avanti 27.................

If it's a NJ Avanti...Built by Dennis Friedman...narrow beam(7+' beam). I've run across a few in the past, both I.O. & Twin O.B. Produced in very low numbers...mostly custom ordered boats. Handle ocean water well w/deep-vee/narrow beam, but can be tricky to drive(w/big power) for the same reasons. Since they're mostly custom, look at each one as an individual boat....survey, survey, survey!
Hugh/Offshore

375stinger 03-19-2005 09:24 AM

where is the boat located in louisville? id tihnk a 27 woudl be fine for boating the river and lakes arond kentucky, where do u boat at? sounds like a cool project, but i wouldnt put too much money into a rare boat like that unless ur sure ur gonna keep it for a long time.

375stinger 03-19-2005 09:24 AM

btw, CARDS R GOIN ALL THE WAY!

gofastwannabe 03-19-2005 01:33 PM

Thanks Stinger for the info. I havent been on the water in about two years. I built a new house and moved from Louisville to just outside Bardstown late last year. It took most of my time the last two years but now I'm ready to play. I have family at Nolin and the wife and I visit Cumberland a few times a year. I havent been on the ohio in about five years or so but I hear capt. qtr's is happening with gofast's now. I'll call about the boat this week, its in the Courier, and maybe take a look. My ole' nova is still in great shape but I thought bigger may be better.

Cards it is!

CAP071 03-19-2005 04:55 PM

http://www.avantipowerboats.com/

I live 5 mins from the factory/ garage where they make them :D

375stinger 03-19-2005 07:58 PM

captains quarters has only a few go-fasts(mostly stock powered fountains types). Jamestown marina in lake cumberland is filled with go-fasts that makes the river lok like nothin. i woudlnt keep a boat in teh river without a lift unless ur gonna keep it out of water most of teh time. WHat kidn of power are u tihnking of for it? I am redoing a 42 cig right now, but i woudlnt reccomend redoing a boat liek that unless u bought it right, or jsut really like the boat, cause you might be better off spending a little more money and getting a larger(35-38) boat in "good" condition as long as ur happy wiht not new condition, but after a year or two ur new interior isnt gonna lok brand new anyways. if ya did redo the boat keep it simple while making the boat look new but not spending a lot on stuff not needed or on fancy graphics because u r never gonna see ur money again when u sell it. twin 2.5 outboards would seem like a good choice for that boat, jsut because if ur running a high performance n/a single it isnt gonna be as reliable as twin stock outboards, and theres notihng worse than being stuck in a lake that size or on the river while out w/ ur family on fourht of july weekend. im not saying for u to do anything, thats just my $.02 hope it helps and all goes well

gofastwannabe 03-20-2005 03:13 PM

I was really just kicking around the idea of restoring one myself but I think I'll wait. I have my heart set on an early 90's 31 Scarab. They are in my price range and my truck and new garage will be able to handle it fine. I really dont want to go bigger as I like to trailer to different locations. I actually pulled a boat from louisville to west palm beach fla some years ago.

gofastwannabe 03-20-2005 03:17 PM

btw stinger, have you heard anything about the louisville race. I was in contact with Ken Doyle this past winter and left a couple of emails but have heard nothing from him lately. I volunteered to help out any way I could but havent heard anything.

TeamSaris 01-13-2007 12:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gofastwannabe (Post 1260936)
Does anyone have any experience with the Avanti 27? How do they handle rough water, (big lake)? There is a hull for sale in my area with no motor or drive for 6900.00. It is an 89 model. It has the interior and k-plains, not sure about trailer. Any feedback on this as a project will be appreciated.

GO CARDS!

Will handle big water with no problem! Ours has a pretty big hook, and still has the wrong porp and is waaaayyy overbuilt because originally it had 2 turbo motors and KAAMA drives. With 530 HP it runs high 60s.