Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   stupid mistakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98738-stupid-mistakes.html)

DannyD 03-21-2005 10:03 PM

Re: stupid mistakes

Originally Posted by woogie
Put a gil offshore battery box in. Set the drill depth for the inside holes but for "some reason" drilled the outside first. Thought all was well. Got about 10 miles and the boat did'nt seem to be handling right. I slowed down and water was shooting out like a fire hose. Turned around and got the boat back on the lift and would then lower it - could'nt figure out where the leak was. My brain just could'nt compute that I drilled a hole through the hull. :D

That had to have ruined your night and the next couple days.

Quiet Storm 03-21-2005 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrCIG
I like the more detailed story better :evilb:

Me too but I have to use the condensed version at work.

If I was woogie, I would want to shoot myself. :D

woogie 03-22-2005 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DannyD
That had to have ruined your night and the next couple days.

Sure did! could have used up a roll of Swipes! :D Once you drill a hole through your hull your screwed for awhile . Couple weeks after that I had a brand new snap-on toolbox full of brand new snap-ons - all the goodies - sitting on the dock while I was working on the boat. Went to lower the lift and since I was on the other side of the boat there was no possible way I could have known the lift was going to catch it on the way down. All I heard was the KA-SPLOOSH and I knew it was'nt a Walleye.

Formula Outlaw 03-22-2005 09:29 PM

Sure did! could have used up a roll of Swipes! :D Once you drill a hole through your hull your screwed for awhile . Couple weeks after that I had a brand new snap-on toolbox full of brand new snap-ons - all the goodies - sitting on the dock while I was working on the boat. Went to lower the lift and since I was on the other side of the boat there was no possible way I could have known the lift was going to catch it on the way down. All I heard was the KA-SPLOOSH and I knew it was'nt a Walleye.

All I can think of is Eric Clapton's line:

If it wasn't for real bad luck, I wouldn't have
No luck at all.....

DannyD 03-22-2005 09:48 PM

Woogie - Oh S%@#! :eek:
Just because you were willing to share this with the rest of us, I am sending you Swipes. Just the fact that you still boat after these two things happening to you amazes me. I don't think I could have controlled myself in that situation.
Check you PM's.

Steve H 03-23-2005 11:25 AM

Unhooked trailer, pulled truck down the hill. Heard a strange sound (trailer tongue grinding on pavement) was promptly rear ended by my own trailer. winch put a nice hole in my tail gate. Tongue was locked under rear axle. had to jack up truck. then tore off a brake line trying to get the trailer separated from truck. this turned a 20 min errand into an all day fiasco. not counting the repair bill on the truck.

Steve Hixson

traviss 03-23-2005 11:56 AM

umm Don't use fuel hose for oil lines :eek: They get really big then split :eek:

1st lap around the lake.... " whats that smell.....umm just the motor"
2nd lap... " whats that smell..... umm smells like oil"
3rd lap.... " man what stinks!!"

starting to lose oil pressure...... Open the hatch and looks like the exxon valdez crashed in the bilge.. :eek: :eek:

thing I learned... don't use fuel line.... use the clear white lined reinforced hose from the hardware... ( will last the weekend till you have time to fix it) :D I ended up buying some bad ass hose from a hydraulic place..

t500hps 03-23-2005 11:57 AM

used to live on a very steep hill (I wore cleats to cut the grass) I had a U-joint going bad and climbed under the truck to change it one afternoon. It was stuck so I started tapping on it with a hammer to knock it out.....as soon as it popped out the light bulb went off in my head. The truck is now in neutral and starting to roll!!!!! right down my driveway towards the house across the street.
I jumped out from under the truck and luckily the passenger door was open. Dove in head first and held the brake pedal with both hands. Stopped at the bottom of the driveway and about chit my pants.

88Fount33 03-23-2005 11:58 AM

I was under the impression that you always broke perfectly good parts trying to fix the one broken one. The only question became how many and how expensive were they (normally the more expensive perfectly good part would be first to suffer). The real issue is that you are prepared to do the work with a few new parts for items in the area where you will be working, when you break something that causes you to have stop what you were doing and then place an order for a part no-one has locally, then wait for it to not arrive until many weeks later, being lost in shipment a couple of times. And then.......

Steve_H 03-23-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by traviss
umm Don't use fuel hose for oil lines :eek: They get really big then split :eek:

1st lap around the lake.... " whats that smell.....umm just the motor"
2nd lap... " whats that smell..... umm smells like oil"
3rd lap.... " man what stinks!!"

starting to lose oil pressure...... Open the hatch and looks like the exxon valdez crashed in the bilge.. :eek: :eek:

thing I learned... don't use fuel line.... use the clear white lined reinforced hose from the hardware... ( will last the weekend till you have time to fix it) :D I ended up buying some bad ass hose from a hydraulic place..

now THATS some funny chit :D :D :D