Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   stupid mistakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98738-stupid-mistakes.html)

Sunrise Girl 03-23-2005 12:35 PM

Re: stupid mistakes

Originally Posted by t500hps
used to live on a very steep hill (I wore cleats to cut the grass) I had a U-joint going bad and climbed under the truck to change it one afternoon. It was stuck so I started tapping on it with a hammer to knock it out.....as soon as it popped out the light bulb went off in my head. The truck is now in neutral and starting to roll!!!!! right down my driveway towards the house across the street.
I jumped out from under the truck and luckily the passenger door was open. Dove in head first and held the brake pedal with both hands. Stopped at the bottom of the driveway and about chit my pants.

LOL!! Glad you didn't get hurt! :p

woogie 03-24-2005 08:47 AM

Re: stupid mistakes

Originally Posted by DannyD
Woogie - Oh S%@#! :eek:
Just because you were willing to share this with the rest of us, I am sending you Swipes. Just the fact that you still boat after these two things happening to you amazes me. I don't think I could have controlled myself in that situation.
Check you PM's.

Thanks for the Swipes Danny! But after reading some of these others I feel guilty - course I'll keep the real screw -ups for back-up! :D Im waiting to hear, and possibly he is a member, its not that funny but hmm, the race boat mechanic who got his finger torn off in blower drive but was so dedicated he motioned the crew on. After the race they recovered it from the bilge and re-attatched it. Please come forward with details!

imartin 05-05-2015 12:20 PM

I have one to add, learning the right trailer depth for my new 35. Was just a tad deep, wife powered it on, nose went up and starboard (wife didnt have engines 100% straight), landed in the roller gap on the roller bolt bracket, boat slid back and gouge the crap out of the nose on the way back down, about 8" in length. I should have just winched her on. happened 10 days ago, and I still can not forgive myself. It is being repaired, maybe with a perfect repair (in the black gelcoat where it happened), I might be able to heal. No one hurt which is good, but man that hurt my pride.....I know better!

cagedlx 05-05-2015 01:59 PM

We went to the boat ramp to launch the boat after putting the batteries back in. I had them stored inside for the winter... Well I didn't wanna hook the electric ram for the hatch back up until after the boat was started so I would have fresh batteries in case i had to crank on the motor much. Well, as we were backing down the ramp the owner of the marina came out and told me it was to shallow at his place, and to take it down the street to keep from messing anything up. Well it was only a mile or two away so we left with out putting the cover back on and didn't think about the hatch!!! At about 30 mph on the road it came completely open and smashed back onto the drives smashing the hood scoops and cracking the whole thing. I almost threw up after i walked behind the boat and saw it! Bad bad day!

iliveonanisland 05-05-2015 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends (Post 1262688)
My stupid mistake is wasting my time dumping more money in a 272 BAJA when i should have just bought a 38 ft boat with twins for the amnt of $ spent!!!! But hey,it's like a addiction! Smitty

But dude you did an amazing job of breaking chit and pissing away money lol

iliveonanisland 05-05-2015 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by woogie (Post 1267658)
Thanks for the Swipes Danny! But after reading some of these others I feel guilty - course I'll keep the real screw -ups for back-up! :D Im waiting to hear, and possibly he is a member, its not that funny but hmm, the race boat mechanic who got his finger torn off in blower drive but was so dedicated he motioned the crew on. After the race they recovered it from the bilge and re-attatched it. Please come forward with details!

Dayum testosterone much lol

imartin 05-05-2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cagedlx (Post 4300661)
We went to the boat ramp to launch the boat after putting the batteries back in. I had them stored inside for the winter... Well I didn't wanna hook the electric ram for the hatch back up until after the boat was started so I would have fresh batteries in case i had to crank on the motor much. Well, as we were backing down the ramp the owner of the marina came out and told me it was to shallow at his place, and to take it down the street to keep from messing anything up. Well it was only a mile or two away so we left with out putting the cover back on and didn't think about the hatch!!! At about 30 mph on the road it came completely open and smashed back onto the drives smashing the hood scoops and cracking the whole thing. I almost threw up after i walked behind the boat and saw it! Bad bad day!

Holy crap cagedlx!!!! I just knew there were others out there that I could commiserate with! Its sad how emotionally attached we get to these fiberglass baby's and how much it hurts for ANY thing to happen. I don't cry this much when I get a scratch on my vehicle! How did the repair come out?

Cole2534 05-05-2015 04:05 PM

Knocked a fat chunk out of my skeg when moving the boat around in the yard. Tractor hit the perfect dip right when the skeg got close to concrete....

ugh

imartin 05-05-2015 04:10 PM

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be a very lively (resurrected) thread!

None of us wish it upon the other, but there is some therapy in reading the misfortunes of others. We begin to see that S*** happens, no matter how careful and experienced we are.

Doesn't make it better, but....

Keytime 05-05-2015 04:18 PM

Rented a cheap narrow slip for the Shootout with exposed metal on the side. Made a mental note to be very careful. I had backed into the slip, so I was going forward to pull out and rubbing against the fender on the starboard side. I thought "no problem, the fender is there". The fender then rolls up and the boat taps the side of the slip and g-o-u-g-e. Mmmm... that's a great sound, isn't it? :picard1:

It's fixed now and there's zero evidence of it, but still d*mn annoying. Another reminder for me to always be extra careful in situations like that. Pretty sure I could have afforded a nice slip after it was all said and done and repaired. :cool-smiley-011: