Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98834-question-about-speed-full-tank-vs-1-4-gas.html)

fund razor 03-22-2005 10:44 AM

Re: question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas?

oh yeah... it only works once. :D

Waterfoul 03-22-2005 10:53 AM

Are your speeds GPS or speedo? Careful running that boat above 75 mph (GPS). That is about the design limit of that hull. Friend of mine had one with built 502's that would run about 77-78 mph GPS and it was nearly undriveable at that point. PLEASE be careful.... the 29 wasn't designed to go 80 mph.

DollaBill 03-22-2005 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Here's what you do. Divide the number of gallons in the tank by 6. (6 pounds is the approximate weight of a gallon of gas.)
Multiply that number by .75 (the difference between full and a quarter tank). Now divide that number by 180 (average weight of your friends).
Then simply invite the resulting number of 180 pound friends on a boat ride. Start out with just over a quarter tank of gas and the proper number of ballast buddies.

Once you are up on plane, simply toss your friends off of the boat one at a time and record your GPS speed after each friend hits the water.
Then you will know what your speed difference is at different weights, all the way down to 1/4 tank.

It works great. For me the difference is about 2 mph.
Which is lucky for my friends, or I wouldn't have gone back for them.

Good luck.

L M A O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Professor Fund

t500hps 03-22-2005 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
oh yeah... it only works once. :D

Then you didn't have enough friends to start with.

fund razor 03-22-2005 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
Then you didn't have enough friends to start with.

I only use the ones that weigh 180 or less so that I am sure to get them clear of the boat. If they drag a body part before they clear the boat it messes up the results. And hitting them with the side of the boat just slows you down. (Learned THAT one the hard way.) :D

dtsquest 03-22-2005 12:12 PM

Can't wait to test Fund Razor's theory. Only thing is I will have to do it after dark cause I don't want anybody seeing 180 lb "female friends" in my boat. :drink: results will be posted as soon as the ice is off the lake :(

dtsquest 03-22-2005 12:14 PM

Oh yeah, and change your props. You need more RPMs. You'd be better off getting more rpms from a different prop than from more boost.

fund razor 03-22-2005 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dtsquest
Can't wait to test Fund Razor's theory. Only thing is I will have to do it after dark cause I don't want anybody seeing 180 lb "female friends" in my boat. :drink: results will be posted as soon as the ice is off the lake :(

Don't use women unless you can independently verify their weight. The combined effect of the weight lies will throw the math off.

BajaRunner 03-22-2005 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
A 454 MPI is either a 310hp or 330hp depending on the year (I believe an MPI is 310hp). If that's the case, then 4,600 RPM's would be WOT and a procharger will kill that motor in short order.

ditto

dtsquest 03-22-2005 12:48 PM

This formula is getting quite technical. Guess I'll have to use a new formula.... 2 90 pounders. That way I can test it during daylight hours. I'll just multiply the results by 2 each time I discard a used one :D