Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the best oil change setup ? >

What's the best oil change setup ?

Notices

What's the best oil change setup ?

Old 03-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best oil change setup ?

502 Mag .
Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: What's the best oil change setup ?

VT Home and Marine...
Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

If you're asking about what to install before engines go in boat--there is a bajo fitting you can install in pan with a hose on it--you either graivty drin thru hull or attach a pump to it. I had that on my ski boat and i twas great. Current boat has dipstick that goes to bottom of pan and I have to pump thru the dipstick tube--a pain especially if oil is cold--
Old 03-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Add the Oil Change Kit to your oil pan that extends a hose out your bilge drain plug. I have them on my twins now, and had it on my last boat, a single. They are about $55 retail They make two kits, with two threads. You will have to use your parts guy to help determine which one is the right one.

It works like a charm and is the ONLY way to drain every last drop out of your oil pan. It is an Oil CHANGE you want to do, not an Oil FRESHEN-UP. I don't even warm my engines up. I just let them drain from Sunday night to Friday afternoon, and fill 'em up before the weekend. Now that I use the Lucas Oil Treatment, I will probably need to warm them up. Glad I installed fresh water flush fittings right the sea-water pump.

There is more information here on OSO about this Kit.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-30-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

Use the drain plug and catch in bilge or if you can get under the engine, install the hose setup like they said above. Otherwise, if you can't get to the dammed drain plug, there are many options for sucking the stuff out the dipstick, small pump that attaches to drill, electric pumps, manual pumps with containers and so on. The key to sucking out through the dipstick is to do it when it is VERY WARM/HOT!

I have a manual pump that sits on top of a bucket. I place it on the ground behind the boat and snake the tube up through the bilge drain plug up to the dipstick and down into the engine. Along with the pump suction, I get gravity siphon pull as well, it still takes a while to get it all out. Wish I had a mini me to reach under to get that drain plug!

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

When I went to install my Drain Plug Kit, I used the marina's dipstick tube sucker-outer to drain the oil first, until it was running 'bone dry.' When I pulled the oil pan plug, I had a nice big fat QUART of oil to clean out of my bilge. Yes, a full QUART (1999 HP500EFI). That's why I posted what I did above. You gotta use the drain plug route. My 496HOs came with the kits installed.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then what kind of hose/pump do you use attached to the oil pan drain?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Best thing to do is make the hose long enuf to run out thru transom and gravity drain when oil is warm. Ther are also a number of oil change pumps out there for around $100.

The thing on a dril is not worth chit--at elast for me it wasn't--the pump would spin like a drill bit because I'd lose grip (to drink a beer or hit a cigarette)
Old 03-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen some transom shots that show 3 plugs ? Is this the kits your referring to ? Or does it route thru your existing drain ?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Routes through your existing drain. They come with a new drain plug that attaches to the end of the hose permanently if you want. I chose not to use this route. I keep the loose end of the hose zip-tied in an upward direction, beside my motors, so I can always view the status of the plug that screws into the end of it. Time to change oil... I snake a stiff wire from the outside of the boat, under the engine to the front of the bilge, attach the end of the drain hose, and ease it out the bilge drain hole.

When you see a couple drain plugs like that, you usually have a stringer or something making it necessary to divide the lowest part of the bilge into to areas with two drain holes. My AT has two. Centerpod cats sometimes have three, etc.

No need to install a pump to the hose drain unless you are impatient.

Also, if you have an inverted oil filter, (opening points down), pop a hole about 3/8" diameter with sharp screwdriver, directly into the top dead center of the oil filter with a mallet. (Do not drill a hole). This will allow the oil filter to drain completely down to the pan, so you do not make such a mess removing the filter.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-30-2005 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the best oil change setup ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.