Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dumb things people say to you at the boat ramp (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/99009-dumb-things-people-say-you-boat-ramp.html)

Steve_H 03-25-2005 12:43 PM

Re: Dumb things people say to you at the boat ramp

Originally Posted by masher44
Kid at my marina in TN would always make it a point ot come see me when I put her in the lake.... He seriously had something wrong with him mentally, his family was super nice and I asked his Mom if he could come out with me for a ride... she agreed and I told her we would give the marina a fly by and she should take some video... she did and when we flew by her houseboat at 70 I ducked down behind the bolster and the video looks like he is driving it alone... A few weeks later she told me he brought the tape into school for show and tell... he was the most popular kid at school. :cool:

way to go masher44 :cool:

LostinBoston 03-25-2005 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by show-n-go h2o
I always get "is that yours or your dads" i guess you cant be in your 20's and own a 100k boat.

surprisingly i havnt gotten any of these since i was 16 and cruising around in my whaler. now im 22 w/ a 36 nortech
maybe people are used to young guys with fast boats down here in s. florida. The only questions I get are how fast but they dont seem too shocked when i tell them 100. maybe I should start lying.

Cat man do 03-25-2005 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DayTripper
I had a guy pull next to me at a stop light while trailoring the boat.

He looked at me and said "boats like that suck".

I replied "your Mother sucks too, but that didn't keep me from riding her".

Then I just drove off...

LOL :evilb:

BJM 03-25-2005 01:41 PM

Some guy asks: "Is it just you and those 4 girls?" My reply: Yes sir. His reply: "I gotta get a boat like that"

Waterfoul 03-25-2005 01:50 PM

Kid at my marina in TN would always make it a point ot come see me when I put her in the lake.... He seriously had something wrong with him mentally, his family was super nice and I asked his Mom if he could come out with me for a ride... she agreed and I told her we would give the marina a fly by and she should take some video... she did and when we flew by her houseboat at 70 I ducked down behind the bolster and the video looks like he is driving it alone... A few weeks later she told me he brought the tape into school for show and tell... he was the most popular kid at school. :cool:

Now that's class. I've done the same thing with a kid in my neighborhood with fishing. Set him up with one of my old rods, some hooks, lures, etc... taught him to cast straight, fight the fish, etc... now he's at the pond across the street all summer long and his mother knows where his is... he's not out roming the neighborhood getting into trouble...

ScottB 03-25-2005 02:41 PM

Masher and Waterfoul, great stories

yss 03-25-2005 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by surf n turf
After a day of boating my girlfriend and I were washing/detailing the boat and trailer out in the street in front of my house. A couple walk by and the wife mutters, "why even bother washing it, it goes in the water anyways". We both looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

That's like saying - Why wipe your butt if your gonna crap again.:D

yss 03-25-2005 03:28 PM

Nice!:cool:

LapseofReason 03-25-2005 08:13 PM

I use to talk to them and try to make the dumb ones a little smarter, but now I have a 50 foot boat with 3 850 hp motors, it can burn over a $1000.00 in fuel before the sun goes down. NOBODY needs a boat like mine but I wanted it and I am willing to pay for it .

So when the dip**** comes over and says something stupid I just tell them it's my Bosses boat and he is making me take it somewhere for him and I don't no anything about it, then I just don't say anything and they just leave.
But one time I had a guy telling me how dumb my boss was because of what his (my) boat could do and you really had to no what you are doing to operate it and I could sink it or worse. He wanted me to take him so he could so me how to do things...... It's a good thing shooting people isn't legal. :drink:

raceboat rus 03-25-2005 08:31 PM

I live near a lake, close enough to hear the boat motoring around in that lake. On a Sunday I could hear a boat with a big inboard throttling up in the lake . So I went to the ramp area to see the boat making the racket and perchance to meet the boat owner. I saw that it was a jet boat with a Pontiac motor { I had never seen a jet boat with a Pontiac motor } I asker the about the Pontiac motor in the boat and how it ran. He smugly responded “ its fast “ and sought to ignore me . I told him that I also had a performance boat , he responded “Yea I am sure , you go get your performance boat“. He must have thought that I was some kind of ramp clown. So I acted humble and asked him if he would not mind waiting ,so we could run together. So that I could personify the ramp clown he wanted me to be I asked a dumb question “ how fast dose that Jet Boat go.? He puffed up and responded “faster than anything you got“. So I went home and brought back my ride {not the Bayliner]. I put in the water and chased and passed him twice and pulled along side and waved “ come on lets GO “ I yelled, and speeded away . I saw him at the ramp later as he was loading his boat to leave .All he was doing was yelling at his wife and brother . I welcomed him to return to the lake soon . He responded “yea what ever” As he left he had to squeal the tires on his truck to also show me that It also was faster than any thing I got.