Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ?? >

Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Notices

Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Old 03-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Originally Posted by Chris288
Wow did this turn into a cluster F.... well, while I have heard from ONE dissatisfied Raylar customer I haven't hear from any others that were or weren't,, so I guess the question IS,, who has Raylar parts on their boats and what was your experience ??

On another note,, the reason I started this thread,,, Yes most shops I have spoken with want to remove the entire engine to do a cam and head swap,, a little excessive in my mind and very costly,, around 1,500 one place wanted 1,800 but that was with a dyno run,,, guess that would have put the naysayers and this arguement to bed.. If I have to pay 2,000 to somebody to install a cam and some heads plus the expense of the kit,, its just not worth it in my mind for 75 hp.. That was the purpose of this thread,, find somebody who is qualifed to do the job on the side/weekend/shop/no shop, I don't care,, just want a reasonable price,, and 1,500 - 2,00 is not reasonable in my mind.. I will keep calling around..
Well, did you call Frankie ??
Old 03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Just get a wipple LOL

You know you want to.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

I'd also like some positive references for the Raylar Kit. Is there anyone out there who can actually verify what Raylar has posted as to the results? Ray, can you provide a number or reference?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Registered

I am planning a Raylar conversion on my 496MagHO in a couple of weeks. Modern Marine, Schoolcraft, Michigan. Water test, then dyno before. Dyno, then water test after. Article to appear in Family and Performance Boating. Supervised and evaluated by Rmbuilder.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Registered

The 496 industries very small .If those heads were all that,the engine shops would be using them. Votec 525 has been raced forall most five years.STOCK HEADS ,cam,. ecu .Ive talked to Raylar for over a year.When it came down to it was all Bs.If you let some one do that work ,when it dont work. Raylar will blame them.I have nothing to gane here.YOU do.7600.00 for 85 hp.It sounds like you haveHOs.For that price you can do whipple.Any good boat mecanic could install.270 threads not more then one motor running.When a shop like Teage backs it WORKS.GOOD NEWS TRAVELS FAST BAD NEWS TRAVELS FASTER.DO some homework .EVERYTHING I posted is true most, in his own words.Thats WHY HE DELETED ALL HIS THREADS.Dustin Whipple is the only shop able to remap that ECU .At one piont he offered a package. I like reading about 496 mods and upgrades and all there stats.When its comes straight from the vender YOU have to wonder.It would be different if they had 10 or 15 customers posting there stats .Hope your boat runs faster this year what ever you decide. I suspect there will be a few guys in the next few days covering for RAYLAR. I would wait till It backed by a mayor marine supplier.OR one of those engine shops I mentioned above. ps MY 6 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER JUST SAID DA DA FOR THE FIRST TIME WOW! Im contemplainting changing my user name to BASHER ! If RALAR changes his to HYJACKING FREE ADVERTISING BBBS ER HA HA

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 03-28-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:02 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris288
...just want a reasonable price,, and 1,500 - 2,00 is not reasonable in my mind.. I will keep calling around..
If you are going to spend 4-5000 on a kit, I'd spend the extra $ to get it done RIGHT.
Parts aint worth sh*t if they aren't put in/together correctly.

But you are probably right, 6000-7000 for 75hp is alot!
Have you gotten any other suggestions to get more HP?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Registered

I agree with HOT BOAT ,about the same price WHIPPLE it . STILL no motors running yet .Still even if the kit DYNOs 100 -150 more= to 85 -135 because 15hp is free 7800.00 for that .WHY DID RAYLAR DELETE ALL HIS THREADS? Is that MAROON 496 running yet ITs been months now.I thought we here from him by now.MY whipples came In 4 boxes and were running both motors 35 man hrs 3days.First run 12 mph increase . from 75 to 87 truely made my knees knock.Since then Ive tweek some more out of it.B est ever 96 A little bottom work ,Imcos , more boost from 6 to 7#s boost Crayola crazy was featured in Powerboat mag IN March 2003 stock .Dock Holiday Baja page :ONE CLASS ACT .4 people 185 gallons of fuel 90plus mpr.6#s boost that day .354 hrs now compressions about the same. MONEY WELL SPENT .We all have one thing in mind more speed.love to share experiences good and bad. Soon I will post all the parts that Raylar sold me where to get them and part no.FROM places that give reciepts .These parts are nothing special and Raylar calls them his kits.HE stocks them.The parts that RAYLAR developed ,there at the machine shop ,ups lost them ,came back damaged,getting the rust micro polished off.5weeks getting fitted for valves.Do you get the point. One excause after another.FOOL me once Fool ME twice FOOL me a THIRD shame on me.

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 03-28-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

Chris,

Just leave your motor stock. Its not worth the money and aggrevation. Keep saving for the Cig. Quoting Bob Teague about someone getting into performance boating, "by the biggest boat you can afford and leave the motor(s) stock."
Old 03-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Registered

As far as hi-jacking threads,,, your doing a pretty good job yourself.. I appreciate your warning,, but in my experience I haven't seen one single instance where Ray has bashed anyone,, infact I find him helpful and very knowledgeable about the 496,, always willing to answer a question about them.. To have a member who knows the 496 inside and out and willing to help a fellow member out when he needs an answer is a great benefit. Many high profile very knowlegeable people have come and gone from this message board and it's a shame..
Old 03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Chris At one point I felt the same way. Thats called sales! Some people learn through ears some learn through a s.I talked to Ray for about 2hrs this morning. He knows where Im coming from and I listened to his side. Besides my adventure with Raylar, If I wouldnt of said something you wouldnt have known. YOUR WELCOME

Quick Reply: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.