Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
boat purchase with documentation ? >

boat purchase with documentation ?

Notices

boat purchase with documentation ?

Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat purchase with documentation ?

buying boat and the owner says he has documentation and does not have the title yet. but will have documentation noterized? what do i need to get from old owner and how do i get the title.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: boat purchase with documentation ?

It's not from National Marine is it?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

If it's a private seller, it would be held by the bank if he has a loan on it, and he would have to satisfy that loan first i believe, i am under the impression that all boats have a title somewhere..regardless of documentation? each state could be diff?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boats with USCG documentation are typically transferred through agents- just like home transactions. I believe they do a search and can provide insurance. Make sure the agent you use has E&O coverage and provides you with documentation of such. I'd suggest contacting the Coast Guard since it's their documentation

Also, don't expect your local watercraft authorities to buy the documentation- you'll likely get pressure to title and register the boat in your state unless you primarily operate the boat in offshore waters (ocean)
Old 03-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Nug,

You will need a receipt that is signed and notorized. You will need the Certificate of documentation, signed by the owner. And that is that.
You can call the Coast Guard and have them run the hin. They told me over the phone whether or not anyone had a lien on it. If you want to register it locally, you can get a Deletion Of Documentation (not necessary) and an Abstract of Title (necessary).
If you are concerned about the title being clear, have your attorney (or yourself) do a title search.
Or just call the Coaat Guard and they will give you the skinny. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Also, don't expect your local watercraft authorities to buy the documentation- you'll likely get pressure to title and register the boat in your state unless you primarily operate the boat in offshore waters (ocean)
The "Local Authorities" don't care one way or the other. The Coast Guard can board your boat anytime and the local cops are trained to recognize the hailing port on the stern of the boat.

If you only boat locally, the greatest advantage to USCG documentation is waiving the local taxes.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Contact a Documentation agent in your area. It's the safest and fastest way to either take the boat out of Documentation or switch it to your name and keep it documented.
Explain your situation to them and they can advise you properly.
Will cost between $375. to $550. Small change compared to buying something bogus and having to give it back.

Remember, it's buyer beware! There are too many scams out there.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bryanspeedracer
The "Local Authorities" don't care one way or the other. The Coast Guard can board your boat anytime and the local cops are trained to recognize the hailing port on the stern of the boat.

If you only boat locally, the greatest advantage to USCG documentation is waiving the local taxes.

Try boating on Lake Erie with a documented vessel. I was strongly warned twice then had my Apache impounded for being unregistered. The Division of Watercraft then turned me in to the Ohio Department of Taxation who fined me for avoiding sales tax. Avoiding state taxes is illegal and I can assure you the local authorities in the western basin either aren't trained or don't care about USCG documentation.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered

Here in the state of GA boats are not titled. They are also not registered with DMV. DNR rgulates boat registrations. After you buy your boat you get a green form from a boat dealer, kmart or walmart, fill it out and mail it in with a few bucks to DNR and your good for 3 years. When I sold my jetski to a guy in FL he had a hell of a time getting it registered in Fl due to no title to transfer.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Last year the the local authorities, I think it was the DNR, were walking the docks at Hammond Marina, Indiana. They were looking for the state registration decal. If the boat was documented they didn't care about #'s but said you have to display the decal.

I decided that I should get one for this year. When I went to buy it, they charged me for last year too. I tried to explain to them that my boat was only in the water for two hours last year because it broke.

They didn't want to hear it.

Quick Reply: boat purchase with documentation ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.