Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Maybe a good ending to a sad story... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/99718-maybe-good-ending-sad-story.html)

bouyhunter 04-02-2005 08:20 AM

Maybe a good ending to a sad story...

I'm somewhat ashamed this ever happened, but maybe a cool ending.

I had a 1986 25' Baja Force. 454 TRS.
Loved that boat.
It wound up costing me a house, an ex-wife, child support, a new truck, a business, and a credit report. All this wasn't due to the boat, just a lot of bad circumstances at the same time.
I left the wife with the house and my daughter, all I wanted was my truck and boat (and my dog).
Moved 250 miles away to Pittsburgh, and reality set in. I could no longer afford the boat and the truck. (The business closing left alot of credit debt.)
It got bad enough that I abandonded the boat. Called the bank and told them "come repo it". This was a pretty bad time in my life.
The bank decided they didn't want it, and just wrote it off ( by this time it was in bad enough shape, and I couldn't afford to take care of it).
So, the boat is still sitting at a marina in Pittsburgh.
At this point, I don't think anything can be done with the boat, it's just been sitting, rotting, for a few years.

The cool part,
I talked to a good friend last night that is still in Pittsburgh, there is a Yacht club that is owned(?) by a baja dealer, and they wanted to make a bar from a performance boat hull. They had some contractors in and they built them a ship-lap wood boat. Not what they are looking for. My buddy is trying to get my old hull to them and have them use it as the bar.
I do think it would be really cool if this boat get's a second life as a bar, it served me well, and I'd love to go visit her,instead of just seeing her cut up and put into a dumpster.
He promised me that if he set's up the deal he'll send pictures of the progress - IF it happens I'll post all the pics.
As I said, I'm ashamed this happened, I made a few mistakes, but I made sure the only one that got hurt was me ( not the ex-wife, daughter, the sub-contractors...) The bank took a hit, but I'm still working with them to rectify the situation.
If my old boat winds up as a bar, I'll buy the first round.

OldSchool 04-02-2005 08:26 AM

Re: Maybe a good ending to a sad story...

Cool!!!

Audiofn 04-02-2005 08:45 AM

Man that is a sucky situation. I thought I was going down that road once (less the kid, wife and dog) but something turned around for me. Probably the wife I have now and things have been going really well since. Hope things turn for you as well and keep plugging away. You know what they say. Hard work breeds success.

Jon

mcollinstn 04-02-2005 09:48 AM

Cat's point bothers me as well. At least send your daughter a card once a quarter (once a month would be better) with a snapshot of you doing something. You don't have to be PART of her life. You don't have to visit her or anything, but it will damage her (probably already has, but this can provide some healing effect) if you don't make occasional casual contact. No need for difficult notes written in the margins. Just something along the lines of "heres what I've been up to".

A Hallmark, a stamp, and a snapshot once a month. Costs less than a draft at the pub.

Now back to your boat.
I don't know what this bar's budget is, but have you been to any bars that have ICE bars? They have a lucite or sheetmetal trough lining the drink area (could be down the gunwale and across the nose) and chilling coils running through it. They pour water in it and freeze it up. There is usually a strip or two of neon from below as well. VERY VERY cool.

To do that on top of a boat bar would be the ultimate!

NJgr8ful 04-02-2005 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I'm somewhat ashamed this ever happened, but maybe a cool ending.

I had a 1986 25' Baja Force. 454 TRS.
Loved that boat.
It wound up costing me a house, an ex-wife, child support, a new truck, a business, and a credit report. All this wasn't due to the boat, just a lot of bad circumstances at the same time.
I left the wife with the house and my daughter, all I wanted was my truck and boat (and my dog).
Moved 250 miles away to Pittsburgh, and reality set in. I could no longer afford the boat and the truck. (The business closing left alot of credit debt.)
It got bad enough that I abandonded the boat. Called the bank and told them "come repo it". This was a pretty bad time in my life.
The bank decided they didn't want it, and just wrote it off ( by this time it was in bad enough shape, and I couldn't afford to take care of it).
So, the boat is still sitting at a marina in Pittsburgh.
At this point, I don't think anything can be done with the boat, it's just been sitting, rotting, for a few years.

The cool part,
I talked to a good friend last night that is still in Pittsburgh, there is a Yacht club that is owned(?) by a baja dealer, and they wanted to make a bar from a performance boat hull. They had some contractors in and they built them a ship-lap wood boat. Not what they are looking for. My buddy is trying to get my old hull to them and have them use it as the bar.
I do think it would be really cool if this boat get's a second life as a bar, it served me well, and I'd love to go visit her,instead of just seeing her cut up and put into a dumpster.
He promised me that if he set's up the deal he'll send pictures of the progress - IF it happens I'll post all the pics.
As I said, I'm ashamed this happened, I made a few mistakes, but I made sure the only one that got hurt was me ( not the ex-wife, daughter, the sub-contractors...) The bank took a hit, but I'm still working with them to rectify the situation.
If my old boat winds up as a bar, I'll buy the first round.

I'm sorry, that is a sad story.

Minx20 04-02-2005 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn

Now back to your boat.
I don't know what this bar's budget is, but have you been to any bars that have ICE bars? They have a lucite or sheetmetal trough lining the drink area (could be down the gunwale and across the nose) and chilling coils running through it. They pour water in it and freeze it up. There is usually a strip or two of neon from below as well. VERY VERY cool.

To do that on top of a boat bar would be the ultimate!

This boat idea reminds me of that Cig bullet or cafe hull that was turned into a wet t-shirt runway at the Hulligans bar that was at Fort Apache.

Anyone remember that.

E.S.

bouyhunter 04-02-2005 10:12 AM

about my daughter,
over the past few years, everytime I call her, the ex-wife starts an arguement. I felt this wasn't good for my daughter to see, so I've kind of kept my distance. I send her holiday gifts - which is the only time I receive a phone call from her. (I would expect my ex, as a responsible parent, to have her at least call me on Father's day, my birthday, X-mas... but that has yet to happen)
I have been writing to my daughter over the past few years, but she hasn't seen any of it yet. I'm basically writing her a book - keeping a journal - of what is going on in my life, and also an explanation of "why things are the way they are". I figure when she's old enough to understand, I'll give it to her, and explain any questions she has.
Things for me have actually taken a great turn!
I have an incredible wife now that I love with all my heart, have a good job and moving up, nice house, two great dogs, and almost back on my feet to buy a boat. It's been a rough few years, but I'm coming through.

My exwife called me 6 mos. ago to tell me she was moving in with her boyfriend (had to tell me a phone # and address for my daughter). I asked "are you planning on getting married?" she answers "I made that mistake once, I'm never doing that again!".
Funny, I talked to my daughter this past week, asked her to send me a picture of herself, she asked if I wanted one from the wedding. She then went on to tell me that she's going to have a little brother July 5th.
Do the math.
At least the ex can focus on making some other man's life miserable instead of mine.
I have a good little life now, not making as much money as I used to, nor the free schedule I had when self employed, but I'm happy. The time for me and my daughter will come, it's just a matter of time.

But I started this thread because I thought it was interesting that my old boat may become a bar, instead of scrap.

bouyhunter 04-02-2005 01:02 PM

Mcollinstn,
Funny you mention the picture thing. My daughter and I promised to send pictures this week. I went out and bought some cheap frames that I can put a few pictures in. Would I be wrong to put in a picture of me and my wife? My daughter knows her and loved her - would this just cause more problems with the ex-wife?? (these are the things I have to think about).
I'm figuring the ex is gonna be really busy with a new husband, and a new baby, that I might actually get a chance to spend some time with my daughter.

ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!
THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT MY OLD BOAT BECOMING A BAR!!!!!
It would be a cool thing.
My personal life, and previous financial problems are irrelevent.
I'm recovering, and the only thing that could make me happier is if I could afford the "mistress" that I'm dreaming about.

glassdave 04-02-2005 01:59 PM

hey, if they need another hull for a bar i cut up a 30 foot Obssession with that same intent (just never happened :rolleyes: :D ) i have about a 4 foot section of the stern and about a 6 foot section of the nose.

mopower 04-02-2005 02:15 PM

The only good part is we finally found out what a Baja is really good for :evilb: :evilb: :D.