Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a boat from Michigan and taxes?? >

Buying a boat from Michigan and taxes??

Notices

Buying a boat from Michigan and taxes??

Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a boat from Michigan and taxes??

Anyone from outside of Michigan ever boat a boat from Michigan dealers? I'm being told it's a point of purchase tax state and they want me to pay 6% tax there. I want to register it in Delaware where there are no taxes and even if I registered here in PA., I know they would want their 6%.

What's the deal? Seems like a major pain in my ass or am I just blowing this out of proportion?

If I register it in Delaware, can I get the tax money back somehow?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Buying a boat from Michigan and taxes??

Yes I bought the 38 last year and they are correct about there taxes, but what I had them do was hire a transportation company and bring it to the Ill state line. That still sucks but I was not going to pay them 6% and wait for the state of Ill to pay me back I would probablt still be waiting.

Eastcoast I sent you a PM
Old 04-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Registered

Check this link.... if registering in a no tax state, then Michigan should not be collecting taxes...

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/485_72279_7.pdf
Old 04-01-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought a car up there and brought it to Ohio. No way to avoid the taxes unless you're a dealer. Ohio has a reciprocal sales tax agreement with Michigan so I didn't get hurt but no way out of paying.

I don't know what state you're in but I'd bet they have personal property taxes- unless you did an out-of-state incorporation, you'd still be liable and Ohio has been doing criminal prosecutions on people dodging sales taxes.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:13 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Just bought a car up there and brought it to Ohio. No way to avoid the taxes unless you're a dealer. Ohio has a reciprocal sales tax agreement with Michigan so I didn't get hurt but no way out of paying.

I don't know what state you're in but I'd bet they have personal property taxes- unless you did an out-of-state incorporation, you'd still be liable and Ohio has been doing criminal prosecutions on people dodging sales taxes.
Are you saying you paid Michigan sales tax and Ohio didn't charge you taxes when you registered the car?
I Incorporated in Del. specifically to get around this...might have to reconsider a purchase in Michigan???
Old 04-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Registered

You dont pay taxes on a boat in Michigan until you go to the secretary of state to register it. I cant see why you cant buy it here and take it to your home state to register it tax free.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

I just registered my boat today in IL and tried every which way to avoid the states new 6.25% tax on watercraft, a22hole governor implemented this new tax. 1.7 billion dollar debt in illinois and all he is gonna get from watercraft taxes is 7 million if hes lucky. Couldnt he cut some of those deadbeats off wellfare in the city? Sheeeez So another 1200 outta my pocket today.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I just remembered buying a boat in FL 2-3 years ago and signing something saying I would pay the tax in my home state......And Del has no tax!!!! yippy!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

If you pay the tax in MI and bring to PA.....that amount of tax you paid in MI is deducted from the tax owed in PA.....YOU can check on it.....just ask one of the PA messenger services

Last edited by enticer; 04-01-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

You don't pay taxes until you register it. Same with cars.

Quick Reply: Buying a boat from Michigan and taxes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.