Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Memorial Day 2005 on the St. Johns River, Fl. >

Memorial Day 2005 on the St. Johns River, Fl.

Notices

Memorial Day 2005 on the St. Johns River, Fl.

Old 05-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Memorial Day 2005 on the St. Johns River, Fl.

We went down to Silver Glen this weekend. We had never been and we had a blast. it's a lot of fun. Here's a few tips...

1. Bring goggles and snorkles, you'll regret it if ya don't.

2. Be there by 9:30 or you WILL NOT have a spot next weekend. Earlier is even better. We showed up a little before 10:30 on a regular weekend end and were lucky to get a spot.

3. Bring 2 anchors. They way the boats raft up is perpendicular to the flow coming from the spring. 1 anchor off the bow, 1 off a stearn cleat or you'll swing into you're neighbor. Or you can beach it on the south side and get a little shade from the trees (nice option). We did both. If you beach it you boat wont move an inch all day.

4. When you enter the run from the lake the water is perectly clear. It looks too shallow to pass but it isn't. There were 40' Cruisers in there with no problem. It's a little bit deeper than it looks.

5. Bring some sort of raft or inlfatable to float around on.

Have fun!

Last edited by ChromeGorilla; 05-22-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Registered

Wink Re: Memorial Day 2005 on the St. Johns River, Fl.

[QUOTE=ChromeGorilla]We went down to Silver Glen this weekend. We had never been and we had a blast. it's a lot of fun. Here's a few tips...

1. Bring goggles and snorkles, you'll regret it if ya don't.

2. Be there by 9:30 or you WILL NOT have a spot next weekend. Earlier is even better. We showed up a little before 10:30 on a regular weekend end and were lucky to get a spot.

3. Bring 2 anchors. They way the boats raft up is perpendicular to the flow coming from the spring. 1 anchor off the bow, 1 off a stearn cleat or you'll swing into you're neighbor. Or you can beach it on the south side and get a little shade from the trees (nice option). We did both. If you beach it you boat wont move an inch all day.

4. When you enter the run from the lake the water is perectly clear. It looks too shallow to pass but it isn't. There were 40' Cruisers in there with no problem. It's a little bit deeper than it looks.
C.G.
I was at the glen yesterday also(trying out my new 27pc Formula) and most of the people I talked to said they were going up thursday, so by friday afternoon you'll be lucky to find a place to anchor....Good luck.

Last edited by Slick02; 05-23-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered

Where were you at? What color was your boat? Were you the 27' formula that beached next to us. We had the 22' Donzi and 28' Sunsation.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Cuda, I'm also interested in the Donzi run if you don't mind another. Also, there is no speed limit on Lake Monroe. That's where Velocity does all of our testing.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tiufb
Cuda, I'm also interested in the Donzi run if you don't mind another. Also, there is no speed limit on Lake Monroe. That's where Velocity does all of our testing.
We'd be glad to have you. We are fleshing out the details now.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Russ`
1st vacation since last march, (Went down to Ft. Myers for 3 days w/o the BOAT!), soo.. yeah we can't wait to get away!
I have a relaxation problem, I only relax when I'm boating!!

Russ,
I reading about you AGAIN, in this month's CFFW newsletter. Any update on the Fl. Westcoast CCFW Poker/Fun Run you are organizing ? That's what the newsletter stated! We might be convinced to come over there for that, if the Nordic is still on the trailer.
Are sure you can't make up to the SJR for Memorial day? Fun will be had by all!
Mean Dean

Nice to hear someone is reading about me in a "positive" manner instead of under "court news"....

Am expecting my first shipment of brochures and newsletters this week. Will start putting brochures at "marine areas" as soon as they get here.

Poker Run: Am still just in the planning stages. Trying to get input on when to have it. I want to be careful not to have it conflict with another major boating event in this area. I'm going to do it a little different than the East Coast Chapter's Poker Runs. Much bigger prizes for starters. Also will have two courses for offshore and "family" boats. Right now I'm thinking about late September. OPBA's biggest Poker Run is Labor Day, so I want to distance from that. Then we've got the Keys in November. So maybe late Sept./early Oct. As long as no hurricanes come blowing through, it's usually pretty decent weather then. Don't worry I'll keep everyone posted.

I can't tell you how much I'd love to make the Glen next weekend but it's just not going to be possible. Right now there might be a fly in the ointment for me for Jacksonville. I will find out Friday/Monday. Medical. I have the worst luck for timing in the world.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChromeGorilla
Where were you at? What color was your boat? Were you the 27' formula that beached next to us. We had the 22' Donzi and 28' Sunsation.

C.G.

No that wasn't me, I was the champane colored 27pc that was coming in as ya'll were leaving, I didn't get there till about 12:30 or so, if your the 2 boats I think you were. Did the Donzi have blue stripes and running out behind the Sunsation?

Nick
Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

That sounds like him Nick.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Registered

Hey Guys, I just found out about this forum, so it's my first post here. I see some of you are heading to Silver Glen. I'm heading out there on Friday afternoon to make sure to get a good spot and plan on staying the night in the boat. If anyone plans on getting out there early Saturday and wants me to try to "angle" my boat in to leave space for another boat, just let me know in advance. I'm going to try to stay in the middle of the run - not sure if I'm going to go to the shallow side or the deep side, though. I'll be in a 302 Scarab Sport (white and black with red in the graphics) that has a radar arch and twin OB's.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorKstenz
Hey Guys, I just found out about this forum, so it's my first post here. I see some of you are heading to Silver Glen. I'm heading out there on Friday afternoon to make sure to get a good spot and plan on staying the night in the boat. If anyone plans on getting out there early Saturday and wants me to try to "angle" my boat in to leave space for another boat, just let me know in advance. I'm going to try to stay in the middle of the run - not sure if I'm going to go to the shallow side or the deep side, though. I'll be in a 302 Scarab Sport (white and black with red in the graphics) that has a radar arch and twin OB's.
We'll look for ya'
Dean

Quick Reply: Memorial Day 2005 on the St. Johns River, Fl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.