Notices

1 or 2 coats of wax?

Old 04-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1 or 2 coats of wax?

Ok, so what's the general opinion since it is that time for the 1st shine job.

If you could have someone else do it so labor is not an issue...

1 coat plenty, but 2 better.
Or 2 coats no added protection and even make for wax build up?

And along those lines, is there really a difference between auto wax and boat wax, providing both are carnuba waxes with UV protectant?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1 or 2 coats of wax?

It would be easy to get taken if you aren't watching to make sure they wax it twice. I think one good coat should be sufficient, if you have some issues with your paint then maybe you should pay to have it buffed first and then hand waxed. Either way I use whatever Meguires is the the most expensive at the auto parts store when I go to buy wax. Usually a premium carnuba wax. I also apply it in sections and wipe it off before it dries, I dont know why but I was told by a detailer once not to let wax dry on your paint first. That was back when I was taking my 69 GTO to car shows all over. Maybe someone else will have some input on the drying factor?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Has anyone tried Zaino bros polymer on their boat. Being in the business I see what it does for cars, just want to know if anyone has put it on their boat?

www.zainobros.com
Old 04-02-2005, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polymer is better than wax. It is not so susceptible to detergents or the weather.

In fact, a good polishing is better than a wax. A polish will actually remove all the surface grime and polish the fine scratches out of the paint. Then apply your polymer for protection.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered

I just got my order of zaino bros polish. They recommend the Z-3 polish with the ZFX activator. No need to wax after the polish, they said that this polsih will protect better then any other wax you could use. I will be cleanin up my boat soon.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Registered

I've had good luck using Meguiar's "cleaner/wax" first, LIGHTLY going over the painted surfaces, then their "Premium Marine Wax".

Always open to new ideas though. It's a lot of work.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 04-02-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

I always hit mine with Finesse-it 2 using a black foam pad on the buffer , then by hand with Eagle One Nano wax. No matter how perfect you think your finish is , Finesse-It on the foam pad will make it look better every time . We wet sand and buff everything we paint no matter how good it looks out of the booth . Oh and thanks to the $hitty weather keeping me off of the lake , my Fountain has about 12 coats of wax .
Old 04-02-2005, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen30
i use the collanite(sp) products.first the cleaner then 2 coats of wax for the gel coat.1 coat for paint.then i use a car wash with wax in it for after boating day clean up.of course someone gives me a small sample of the z brothers stuff,,i'll give an unbiased report.
Well "stuphen" , I think if you hit the site they will send out samples. I know lots of car guys that use it and was wondering about boats, I think once I have the paint work done on the Tiger, I'm going to try the Zaino, I know it goes on like a dream.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:30 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen30
i use the collanite(sp) products.first the cleaner then 2 coats of wax for the gel coat.1 coat for paint.then i use a car wash with wax in it for after boating day clean up.of course someone gives me a small sample of the z brothers stuff,,i'll give an unbiased report.
Just used the same stuff. Looks like the second coat was necessary. Almost like the first coat "soaked" into the gelcoat.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two coats Biff..........

Quick Reply: 1 or 2 coats of wax?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.