What starter for merCruiser Bellhousing with Coolers >

What starter for merCruiser Bellhousing with Coolers

Notices

What starter for merCruiser Bellhousing with Coolers

Old 04-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What starter for merCruiser Bellhousing with Coolers

Can I use a standard big block Chevy starter with the top mount setup on the merCruiser racing dual plate cooler bellhousings? If not, what's the part number that I need? Thanks!

Harry
Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What starter for merCruiser Bellhousing with Coolers

Check wit ARCO in Pensacola - http://www.arcomarine.com/ - they supply almost everybody in the business and are competitive and very kn owledgeable.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Registered

Sorry I don't have the part numbers handy, but for SSM bellhousings, you need a reverse-rotation starter, and a flywheel with a rear mounted tooth ring.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the lesson I learned the hard way. There are no "special" starters for top mount starters or bell housings with coolers. I had rear mount engine plates. I then installed bell housings with coolers. New starters were next installed. The motor was started several times on the stand and in the boat over the next 30 days. Finally the day came to launch. Turned the key and just got whirring sound. Starter would not fully engage. Few hours later pulled the starter and noticed only last 1/8 inch of gear was worn (worn out). Figured it was the starter. Took it to a local parts store and bought a new one (I asked for one with a longer snout) but was told there is no such thing. Installed the replacement. Started right up first time. About 20 starts later, the same thing happened. Now I am getting mad. Talked with some riggers and found out I needed a "cut" bell housing. This removes about 1/4" of bell housing so the starter can fully engage. Had to pull both motors, remove trans, and remove and machine bell housings, and rebuild starters. Cost me 2 weeks and alot more cash.

Sorry this got long. Hope someone can use it to avoid the same mistake I made.

Doug
Old 04-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Registered

I actually have a SSMIII setup in my boat, but rather than try to mess with all that, I just put in a standard block-mounted starter and a Glenwood bellhousing to fit my 72C. I suppose it would be nice to not have my bilges littered with coolers, but hey, someday I'll be able to afford that stuff... I found that I had to mill the bellhousing length down by nearly 1/4" to make the splines engage properly with my HD flexplate, and that was without a rear engine mount plate stuck between. I found that the dog-ear mounts on the bellhousing aligned properly with my pre-existing offshore mounts in the baot. To give myself peace of mind, I also milled flats into the inside of the bellhousing and through-bolted my transmission to it. I still had about 3/8" of threading into the aluminum, but wanted more purchase on it.

I think waterbum's lesson is well advised: Don't just assume that everything will just fit, ever. Always check and measure to prevent catastrophe.