575 Blower Bearing Problems >

575 Blower Bearing Problems

Notices

575 Blower Bearing Problems

Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 575 Blower Bearing Problems

I have a 2002 Fountain with twin 575sci's. Do some of the later models actually have B&M blowers? Mine has the W stamped in the case which would lead me to believe it is a 256. I have 100 hours on the motors. What should I do to lessen the possibilties of problems. I just had the blowers servciced. How do I check the oil level. Do you recommend any type of synthetic oil for the superchargers?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

All of the 575 blowers use the Weiand 256 case. If the front gear cover has a W on the front then it is the original Weiand Style. The new style uses the same case but the B&M style bearing plates and front cover. The bearing plates are machined different however to the new Holley specs which are not the same as Weiand or B&M. When Holley purchased Weaind and B&M they incorporated both styles into one. They also re designed the rotor shafts and gears and they are no longer interchangable with the old style Weiand or B&M blowers. There is no longer a B&M blower line, it is now a Holley blower.

Almost all the 575 blowers were built by Holley since Holley purchased Weiand right after Mercury develop the 575 package. Only the first few proto type blowers were built by the original Weiand that were used for test and development for Mercury's approval. The production schedule came after the purchase of Weiand.

If you have the Weiand style blower, then there is a dip stick on top of the front cover to check the oil level. In the rear it also runs an oil bath and has a 1/4" pipe plug in the rear cover which is the oil level. If you have the Holley style, then there is a sight glass in the front cover with a fill plug in the top to put the oil in. The rear uses a sealed bearing so there is no oil to check.

We recomend the Red line Heavy shock proof oil which is a synthetic oil. The Merc Hi Perf drive oil is also a good oil to use. Weiand used a standard 80w-90 gear oil like Valvoline or Stay Lube that had a GL-5 rating.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

BBQ70,

Thanks for the great reply.

Since mine have the W stamped in the front, could they still have been built after Weiand was bought?
I have a pipe plug on the top-front of my blowers, not a dipstick. I attached a picture for you to see my blowers so I can find out exactly what I've got.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails 575 Blower Bearing Problems-575sci.jpg  
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM
JCG
Registered

Hey BBQ70, sorry to revive such an old thread, but maybe you can help.

Has anybody tried to machine the rear case on a B&M to install a grease zerk fitting? This way I'd be able to re-grease the rear needle bearings, without having to dis-assemble my blowers from the engines. Would this have any negative effects?

Thanks!

Julian