Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Single plane vs. Dual plane Intake? >

Single plane vs. Dual plane Intake?

Notices

Single plane vs. Dual plane Intake?

Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single plane vs. Dual plane Intake?

What are the pro's and con's for each?
AND,
Low rise vs. High rise?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Registered

Default Re: Single plane vs. Dual plane Intake?

Single will give your more top end from 5000 up(some will say not until 5500 but it depends on many things)dual will give better down low and mid range. I personally like the single on a performance motor(400HP and up BBC) and believe the newer designs are "good enough" mid range. When you hit the throttle on a boat it acts like a high stall torque converter, it will rev up to 2000 or more even when sitting still. That being said, if you are somewhere less than that or have a very heavy boat or to much prop or to much cam you will not lose much up top and will have a better all around motor with a good high rise dual. Big cams add to the loss of bottom end esp if not a roller. It's all compromise but if in doubt go dual. How is Columbia,SC and area,,we may move there for a job.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: Single plane vs. Dual plane Intake?

Originally Posted by cooltoys61
Single will give your more top end from 5000 up(some will say not until 5500 but it depends on many things)dual will give better down low and mid range. I personally like the single on a performance motor(400HP and up BBC) and believe the newer designs are "good enough" mid range. When you hit the throttle on a boat it acts like a high stall torque converter, it will rev up to 2000 or more even when sitting still. That being said, if you are somewhere less than that or have a very heavy boat or to much prop or to much cam you will not lose much up top and will have a better all around motor with a good high rise dual. Big cams add to the loss of bottom end esp if not a roller. It's all compromise but if in doubt go dual. How is Columbia,SC and area,,we may move there for a job.

Thanks for the Info on the Intakes.
I live 17 miles from downtown Columbia in Lexington. It's a nice place to live with mild winters and hot summers. Boating lasts from late March thru October. Columbia is the State Capiitol and the University of SC main campus is also here.

Lake Murray is awesome . At 50,000 acres, you can run any size powerboat at full throttle!

I believe the population of greater Columbia's two main counties is about 600,000 to 700,000 people. I am a mortgage banker, if you decide to move here and need help locating a home, need a real estate agent or mortgage loan, feel free to email me at [email protected]