Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Houston, I think we have a problem... >

Houston, I think we have a problem...

Notices

Houston, I think we have a problem...

Old 05-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Houston, I think we have a problem...

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Personally, that oil doesn't look that bad. I would refill crankcase with cheapo 40 wgt oil and go out and run it around. Stop and if possible crack the oil filter to let some oil out. If it looks like normal oil go out and run hard to get oil temps above 212F. Take it back in and remove oil fill cap and check for creamed cheese looking film under cap. If none, suck out oil and add more cheap 40wgt and a new filter. Let sit with no fill cap or other breather type openings in place to let evaporation work. Next weekend reinstall valve cover devices and run as normal. If cream cheese shows up again, risers, intake or whatever needs attention. If not, change oil one more time with oil of choice and new filter then pretend like nothing happened. Don't create problems for yourself. Complete the fact finding first. A little running with milky oil will not hurt anything if indeed it turns out to be a riser, intake or whatever.

BT
I respectfully have to disagree with you on a few points
1 ..why would you crack the filter and dump oil in the bilge ?
just check the dipstick ..
2 Breathers off to let evaporation take place?? You mean rust to form also ??
3 No emulsion is ok ..water effects journal pressures etc ..bad bad ..get it out of there pronto
Old 05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hillbilly you did not start anything I did. But I still feel that it would not be reversion but like it was said and someone rigged the exhaust wrong and the water flows backwards or it had way to much bow down on the trailer and a bad rigging job then yes water could be dumped back up the exhaust and down the manifold. Then is it realy reversion and a hose problem or just bad luck?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we took her out today - ran a good 20 minutes at 2500-3000 rpm, no hint of milkshake in the oil. Looks like I dodged a bullet... Thanks to all for the advice and help!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it all workes out wothout major headaches for ya
Old 05-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridianSon
Hillbilly you did not start anything I did. But I still feel that it would not be reversion but like it was said and someone rigged the exhaust wrong and the water flows backwards or it had way to much bow down on the trailer and a bad rigging job then yes water could be dumped back up the exhaust and down the manifold. Then is it realy reversion and a hose problem or just bad luck?
It may not be reversion in the way we typically think of it, but water entering the clyinders through the exhust, no matter how it got there, is reversion.