Truck question

Notices

Truck question

Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck question

99 F350 4x4. The 4x switch on the dash does nothing...as in no 4 wheel drive. Any common problem to check first???

BTW , no 4 wheel high or low
Old 05-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Default Re: Truck question

Wow , a real bunch of knowledge here
Old 05-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Find fuse and check first,does switch normally light up?Could be encoder/servo motor on t-case but sounds like power supply to me,Smitty
Old 05-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Check voltage on wire to servo with key on and nothing , checked fuse , OK.
Damned electric crap , there was nothig wrong with a manual t-case

OOPS time to check again.....I measured across the two wires not wire to ground
Old 05-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Nuttin there either
Old 05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sutphen30
are your hubs on the wheel in the "free" position,put it to lock.

That's a non issue since the t-case isn't shifting and the 4x light on the dash isn't coming on.
If I lock the hubs everything turns but it's still not in FWD.
I found this out Monday when I tried to pull the boat 150' across my back yard on wet grass
Old 05-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same the same thing last year. The plug on the drivers side of the transfer case was loose. It's right behind the front drive shaft. You should be able to turn the switch on and reach up in there and wiggle it to see if it works, when it does it will click loud enough to know that you did something. Its actually the position sensor. I unbolted it (position sensor), cleaned the connection and put it back to gether and it works fine now. It comes out real easy, this is an easy job. You'll have to drop the skid plate but it comes out with 4 or six bolts. The hardest part is bolting the skid plate back up by yourself. I tried every relay, fuse, ran power to the switch from the fuse block, nothing worked. I had replaced the tranny last year and I'll bet the Ford dealer never plugged it back in all the way. Its real hard to push in until you unbolt the sensor because of the wierd angle behind the drive shaft area. Give it a try and let me know if it did the job.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

There are two plugs. One on an object that resembles a power window motor , That's near the bottoom of the case. Theres another plug at the top of the case. removed and replaced both. Both appeared tight and clean.

Last edited by mopower; 05-05-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

The one that looks like its on the "window" motor is the position sensor, thats where my bad connection was. I looked at everything else in mine and stumbled upon that. I would unbolt the position sensor and adjust it by hand and see if you can make it work. It's easy enough to take off and at least you'll know whether or not it's bad. Other than that I couldn't tell you where to begin. Like I said I couldn't find any other way of making mine engage until I messed with that. I also thought I could push it in by hand but I was getting it tight enough until I took it off and made the clip engage. It goes in alot deeper than you think. Thats why it would work when I was down there pushing on it but it wouldn't work from the cab by itself. It could be something else all together but this isn't that hard to check. I dont think the hubs have anything to do with the transfer case engaging, so more than likely its somewhere inbetween that sensor and your switch. You can do search engine to find schematics on the relays and fuses so you know exactly wich ones to check under your hood. I had them written down but I have no idea where I put the paper. I believe there are a couple of fuses in the fuse box too in the dash but I'm sure you already checked them.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I'm trying to tell you not to trust just pushing it in by hand, that connection was difficult to connect properly on mine. Maybe yours is a little easier but I would have missed it if I hadn't been under there, with the switch in 4x4 pushing on it at the same time.

Quick Reply: Truck question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.