Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What's flow got to do with it. . . . . . . >

What's flow got to do with it. . . . . . .

Notices

What's flow got to do with it. . . . . . .

Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's flow got to do with it. . . . . . .

ALOT!! Had a customer, engine builder, receive a basket case 540 CID BBC. It had wiped the bearings out after a few hours of running. During the rebuild he ran the cam specs by me and it was a single pattern. Heads were 990's. I told him possible but not likely a single pattern was optimum. So he flowed the heads. They had been Butcherd! The exhaust was 51% of the intake. I told him it needed 26 degrees of bias on the exhaust. He convinced the customer so we recammed the engine along with replacing the $800 home made oil pan.

This is a 10.5 to 1 engine with a Super Victor and 850HP carb that is in a '66 Chevele.

Customer took engine to competitors dyno. Bets were put down. Most said between 550 and 570 HP due to the fact it was only going to 6400 Max rpm and that the old engine made 534HP at 6200 rpm. Then the topic of camshaft came up and he said he just got blank stares from everyone.

Engine made 668 at 6200rpm on 93 octane gas UNCORRECTED.
Torque was over 600#ft at 3500 . I don't have the dyno sheets yet but will post them. Just to verify the numbers, the dyno operator took the engine off, put his test mule on to see if the absorber was calibrated correctly. The mule was dead on he said.

This post is not to pat me on the back, for those that know me, know I do this this because I love making power. This post is to make you aware that flow numbers are critical in selecting the right camshaft for any given combination. In this case the $75 for flowing the heads was worth 134HP increase with cam change and oil pan change.

He is sending me a copy of the dyno sheet so when I get it I will post a pic of the actual sheet.

Combination, Combination, Combination!!!!

Chris