Engine help needed >

Engine help needed

Notices

Engine help needed

Old 05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help needed

I'll see if I can lay it all out. I have a 29foot Fountain with twin 502s. The engines have 250 B&M full injected blowers with EMI exhaust. The boost is only 31/2 pounds, but I'll fix that later. The engines other than what I mentioned are as far as I know stock. Heres my dilemma.

I took it out for the fist time, the starboard engine had almost no water presure and once it warmed up the engine temp was 150 to 175 wot and the oil presure was on the money at 60. The oil temp ran 150 to 175 as well. The starboard engine seemed to idle better than the port side with no load as they both have blower surge.

The port engine had water presure from 5 to over 30 pounds at wot, sometimes it would pin the gauge. The engine temp would run 130 to 150 at wot and the oil presure was 20 pounds higher than the starboard engine. Criusing around up to 4000 rpm the oil temp would be equal that of the starboard engine.

Now heres the problem at WOT the oil temp in the port engine would hit 270/280 although all other gauges would be fine. Actually everything else ran cooler than the starboard motor. And when I backed out of the throttles the temp of the oil would come right down and I could smell oil. The oil in the port engine smells fine and does not look burned. When I pulled the dip sticks the port engine stick was very hot to the touch, and the starboard engine's stick was cooler. Which leads me to believe the gauges are somewhat accurate.

Last night I pulled the water pump on the starboard engine and the impeller was new.???? Why no water presure???

I'm going to pull the port side tonight as but it shows 10 to 30 pounds so I don't see a problem.

Now I compare what happened yesterday with the stats from Fountain and I'm scratching my head.

Can anyone help me out???

Oh and top speed was 91.4 gps
Attached Thumbnails Engine help needed-dsc01191.jpg   Engine help needed-test.jpg  

Last edited by JLANE; 05-16-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine help needed

Hey Jason! Sounds like you may have a restriction (impellar pieces) in front of, or in your oil cooler causing lower water flows through the engine. Pull the oil cooler hoses and be sure the hoses and cooler is clear. You may also want to make sure the drive inlets are clear, by I would bet the restriction is right in front of the oil cooler.

BTW nice boat in your signature picture.

Here she is!
Attached Thumbnails Engine help needed-107_0721.jpg   Engine help needed-105_0544.jpg   Engine help needed-105_0543.jpg  

Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine help needed

looks DAM good Craig. That is a true lake rocket. I miss that blow your hair back type feeling. Now that you have some seat time what type speeds are you pulling???

Back to my dilemma, I though something simular thats why I'm pulling the other pump, but why is the engine water temp lower in that engine than the otherone that has no water presure to speak of. The oil temp is lower in all other rmps other than at WOT on that port engine as well.