oil temps where is good? >

oil temps where is good?

Notices

oil temps where is good?

Old 05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temps where is good?

I just built a new 502 and Im having oil temp problems. Cruising at 4200, I am running 260 degrees. I am using valvoline 20/50 racing oil. I would like to know what everyone else is running before and after the cooler. I just put on a huge cooler from Kieth Eckert and I could have went overboard. The motor is carberated with 550 horse. Any replys appreciated.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

Default Re: oil temps where is good?

First where are you taking your reading?

What is your water temp?

Your at the edge of max safe and entering the no good area. 90 degree fittings are no good, they cause airation of the oil and promote heat. 45's are much better.. . all straights are great but no realistic.

Pan design can cause temps. Cast aluminum pans on higher HP engine will hold heat in them.

Capacity. Are you sure the pan holds what you are putting in oil wise. You may want to try one less quart of oil. The pan must not only hold oil but it must hold the displaced air from the pump motion on the rotating assemble. Windage control is critical in marine engines that run at a sustained higher rpm. A windage problem will create high oil temps.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good advice. I think I overfilled mine just a bit in haste to get out on the water this afternoon, and I noted higher oil temps (230-240F measured in the pan) and lower oil pressure once up at high RPM than before. I'm definitely draining some out before the next run!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you do anything with the
bypass valve in the block ?

If they're weak, missing, or stuck,
not much( if any) oil is going to go to the
cooler.

......just a though.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

My sensor is on the remote oil filter. Before I put the bigger cooler on, I was measuring the oil before the cooler. I put the bigger cooler on and my engine builder wanted the new cooler filtered so I had to reverse the plumbing to filter the cooler and now I am measuring the cool side of the oil. I am going to run the boat this weekend and was wanting some temps that people were running on both sides.As far as the bypass valve, I dont know. I had a race shop do the motor. He is the same guy who built it 8 years ago and is a very recommended engine builder. My temp is 150 running and comes up to 170 after I come down which is good I think. I boat in lake michigan which is only 50 degrees right now. Thanks for the replys