Resistor spark plugs and afr heads? >

Resistor spark plugs and afr heads?

Notices

Resistor spark plugs and afr heads?

Old 05-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Resistor spark plugs and afr heads?

I'm going to the dyno at crocketts shop fri and i'm trying to figure out what the hell spark plugs i need for my afr headed,procharged 540. Afr reccommends champion c59c's and autolite 3932's. After going to 4 different auto part store's and finding out no one has any in this area and can't get them for days i started trying to cross reference them to something else. I'm looking for a resistor type standard plug as i change plugs quite often(i have never been thrilled with "RACE PLUGS" anyways) and want something in a resistior type so my stereo isn't buzzing like a dildo all the time. So far this is what i have found for info:
Champ c59c-std tip race(can't get this week)
Champ c59yc-projected tip(can't get this week)
Autolite 3932's-std tip race(can't get this week)
Autolite 3933's-std tip race,probably too hot(can't get this week)
What i did find were:
Champ rc12yc's(A resistor type,projected tip plug,probably a little too hot)
AC FR3LS(a exact copy of above plug)
Champ rc9yc-probably the correct heat range,resistor type,projected tip
Autolite 3923-a exact copy of the above plug
The last 4 plugs i listed seem to fit all my criteria(proper heat range,resistor type,3/4 inch reach,14mm,5/8 hex,gasket seat type)
The problem those 4 plugs and ANY resistor type i have seen in all the cross references that have the correct physical dimensions are all PROJECTED tip type. Procharger says in their instructions to NEVER use a projected tip type plug(i assume because of possible detonation). Anyone got any suggestions,what is everyone else running? Crockett says he probably has some ngk race plugs but i'm trying to bring everything i could possibly need,thanks for any helpful suggestions,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-19-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Resistor spark plugs and afr heads?

projected tips and chargers don't mix, the way Bob Endress from Vortech explained it to me was that the spark can actually be blow out at high RPM. Any truth I don't know, but I do know from testing that the projected tips don't run well in a charged application. I bleieve but don't quote me that you could use an rs12yc instead of an rc12yc, I think it's the same plug without the projected tip, I got it all written down in my toolbox though, I will check it out tommorow.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
projected tips and chargers don't mix, the way Bob Endress from Vortech explained it to me was that the spark can actually be blow out at high RPM. Any truth I don't know, but I do know from testing that the projected tips don't run well in a charged application. I bleieve but don't quote me that you could use an rs12yc instead of an rc12yc, I think it's the same plug without the projected tip, I got it all written down in my toolbox though, I will check it out tommorow.
On the champion plugs the Y indicates projected tip. From what i saw today in all the cross refernces i could find was std tip plugs don't exist in a 3/4 reach,5/8 hex 14mm resistor type. I guess unless someone knows of one i didn't find that i need to run racing type non-resistor plugs,will the R/F static disrupt the stereo while idling? Thanks,Smitty
Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might not be able to help you by Friday.
http://www.sparkplugs.com/

NAPA usually has some pretty cold AC's in stock.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ngk 5671a-9