Notices

Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project

Old 05-26-2005, 07:54 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
Ok guys we've been busy and haven't been posting but here is our latest project arrived yesterday we're building a pair of twin turbo big block aluminum chevy EFI engines they're going to be 380 ci as planed so far and we expect to make in the 1300 t0 1400 hp I'm going to document and show as much as possible and at the end we'll see how close we come . The customer wants to run 170s and have the fastest accelerating boat he's aver had we're going to give it our all . Also all the wiring for the dash panels we'll be finishing for him. Hope you gear heads enjoy . Sincerely Laz Mesa

sweet....
Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanB
The've been using twin turbo motors in the boats that pull speed skiers on the west coast for years. Everyone out there uses them. I dont know the specs but I think Pfaff started the craze many years ago. Ive seen them accelerate and they are quick!!!!!
I can promise you they don't run them easy in these events either...
Race after race, they just keep on gettin it on
Old 05-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Powerboat magazine did a story about that engine a few years ago. I still have it somewhere. The engines put out big power but the outdrives couldn't take it. That was before #6 outdrives. Btw, the guy that built the exhaust for that boat lives in my neighborhood and does welding and fabrication still.
We modified the exhaust system turbos engine management systems waste gates and boost controll system and were currently modifing the cooling system because after disassembling the engine we found some areas that need to be addressed cams and valve trane are also areas of modification were working on my next post will have the exhaust system and modifications with the turbos and the waste gates installed
Old 05-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Laz-
Who built the hull?
Due
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Laz-
Who built the hull?
Due
The hull is a Chris Cat and the entire bottom has been cut and redesign with extensive modifications by an individual who is very involved in boat racing and has won countless world championships as a crewchief .
Old 05-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks- I thought it looked familiar.
Due
Old 05-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Registered

Here are some pics of the exhaust mods we've done you can see the first most noticed is the replacement Garret water cooled ball bearing turbo then the modification to the exhaust with the Tyal adjustable waste gate operated by an Innovative boost controller on the dash that controls both engines at the same time and the addition of the merge type collector flange which we use in the drag race engines I'm confident in the exhaust system alone we have another 100 hp to safely use. Hope you guys enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project-hpim0522.jpg   Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project-hpim0523.jpg   Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project-hpim0524.jpg  

Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen30
i can see that working in a car,,and i know thermotec wrap work well,,but the heat from that set up at 1000+hp is going to be extreme.is there a plan for putting a water jacket around those pipes???
i do little 2.2l audi turbo motors and at 500hp to the ground,,our exhaust systems glowwwwwww very pretty at nite.
garrett makes the water jacketed exhaust turbo housing but they want some bucks for it,,
These are the latest water jacket design housings from Garrett and the pipes are going to be wraped again after were done they were wrapped when we had them on the dyno the first time and I was supprised how much cooler than water jacket headers they were .
Old 05-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen30
i can see the center section of the turbo is water cooled..i' m saying,,the exhaust turbine housing is not water jacketed,,like gentry and other marine diesel turboes.why aren't you using them????
You know come to think of it I don't know why Garrett recomended these turbos by design it may be simply they don't have the correct size exhaust housing for the ci were running generally speaking marine turbos have larger exhaust housings and wheels because larger ci are use in that field this project is an open checkbook and it's surely not because of price .
Old 05-28-2005, 10:11 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The water cooled turbine housings are incredibly heavy..... you can't hang those out there on the pipe setups he has showing... they'll crack, and break the flanges right off.... those turbo's are nice pieces, wrap the exhaust and run it...

My only concern would be turbine tip speed, at 8500 rpm engine speed, for loooong distances, your talking over 225,000 rpm on a T5 or T6 frame turbine wheel diameter. The trick is the tubing size, and a/r ratio's matching up...
I wanted to do this setup last year for my Criterion, using a 366" truck block (I have an NOS 366" tall block on the shelf now) .125 over, 3.766 crank, alum. heads, EFI, Hogan intake, maybe 385"-395", single BB turbo, intercooled.... my wallet dried up. I think a 447" may be a better way to go now... JMHO.

Jim Haas

Diesel Power & Injection, Inc.
Miami, Fla.

Quick Reply: Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.