Fuel gage problem??? >

Fuel gage problem???

Notices

Fuel gage problem???

Old 05-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel gage problem???

I have two 75 gallon tanks and both are 3/4 full. The starboard gage reads fine and measures 3.1 volts across the gage. The port gage only goes up to just below empty and measures 4.7 volts across the gage. I swapped the wires on the gages and the starboard tank read 3/4 full on the port gage, so this tells me both gages are fine.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be with the port fuel reading??? I'm stumped.

What are normal voltage readings on the fuel gage??
Old 05-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fuel gage problem???

Sounds like you may have a broken wire/bad connection somewhere, or quite possably a bad sending unit. Track the wires to the tank, if all seems ok test and compare the resitance across the two sending units.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Only the Best Will Do!

To test the gauge, disconnect the sender terminal. Turn the ignition switch on. The gauge pointer should be pegged fully to the left side of the gauge. If it doesn’t, test to see if the ignition voltage is present by connecting a multimeter between the “I” and “G” terminals. If the voltage is not present (Approximately 12 volts DC for 12 volt systems, 24 volts DC for 24 volt systems) troubleshoot the wiring from the ignition and to ground. If the gauge pointer does peg to the left, short the sender terminal of the gauge to ground, the pointer should deflect fully to the right. If it does not, the gauge is faulty. If the pointer does peg to the right, and the ignition voltage is present, the problem is with the sender or the wiring from the sender to the gauge.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Had the same problem, the float came off the sending unit.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Registered

The connections at the sending units looked fine. Since I swapped the wires, I'm confident the gages are just fine, has to be something with the red port tank sending wire. I'll check for the 12v as stated above first to assure that's there first.... This one has got me stumped.....
Old 05-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Registered

Missing float...... hmmmm.... That will do it..... I'll check that as well.... It was working fine, then I took boat to have bimini top installed, came home and no longer working.....
Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

I still don't know what the problem was. I went through all your suggestions and everything showed good at the gage. I removed the sending unit and thought for sure that the float would be missing, but it was there. Electrical connectors look just fine, no signs of corrosion. As I had it out, I turned on the key and wallah, the gage started working. Put it back together and twisted and pulled on wires to test the connections and see if I got any changes in gage reading, nothing changed. Is it possible that the float got wedged on the bottom when I was towing it??? Who knows! Going to change out the connectors anyway.

Thanks again for the tips! Case closed! Onto the next item on the list!!!