Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lost shift ability on starboard motor???? >

Lost shift ability on starboard motor????

Notices

Lost shift ability on starboard motor????

Old 05-28-2005, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lost shift ability on starboard motor???? - Coupler Gone, why??

With engine running, I can get starboard motor into forward, however prop doesn't turn. And I can't get shift lever into reverse.

454 mag carb 1994, Bravo 1 drive.

What might be the problem? Where should I begin to look??

Last edited by East Coast B; 05-29-2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Lost shift ability on starboard motor????

Take the cable that goes to the drive off the shift bracket in the bilge and see if you can shift it direct. If so you have to replace the internal shifting piece in the top end of the drive that has the claw holding the shift cable. For some reason the pivot holes seem to round out and you loose the tolerance to allow it to shift all the way into gear.

I have been trying to find the piece on the Bam site so I could show you the drawing and part number but am not having luck getting into that part of the site. If you need this info maybe someone else can help I won't be around have to work on my own boat

BTW "IF" this is your problem it's an easy fix!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Scott
Take the cable that goes to the drive off the shift bracket in the bilge and see if you can shift it direct. If so you have to replace the internal shifting piece in the top end of the drive that has the claw holding the shift cable. For some reason the pivot holes seem to round out and you loose the tolerance to allow it to shift all the way into gear.

I have been trying to find the piece on the Bam site so I could show you the drawing and part number but am not having luck getting into that part of the site. If you need this info maybe someone else can help I won't be around have to work on my own boat

BTW "IF" this is your problem it's an easy fix!
I just happened to re read your post and I did not see the part about the prop not turning! Good luck I'm sure it is much more involved than the simple repair I described.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a broken floor in the fwd gear.. time to have it torn down and inspected..

Hope this helps
Dick
Old 05-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered

What exactly is a broken floor in the fwd gear??? I have a manual with the parts breakdown, would like to reference it.

Thanks for your insight!!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

If that is the issue, what kind of price would I expect to have it fixed??? Just ballpark, is this a minor or major issue?? It's a 94 drive with 350hrs on it.

I've made an appointment to take the boat in, any reason I have to take the boat in, would it be good enough to just drop them the drive??? I hate leaving my boat with anyone....
Old 05-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

you can swap the drive to the other side to rule out any control problems. if it still happens then pull the drive back off and take it in for service.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Registered

I'm about to pull the drive off shortly. My thought is that once the drive is off, I should be able to perform an operational check from the shifter all the way to the outside transom. I should see the small cable which locks to the outdrive jaws moving in and out as if I was putting it in and out of gear using the shifter. If it works fine, than all cables in boat should be good and that should tell me the problem is in the drive???
Old 05-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Originally Posted by East Coast B
I'm about to pull the drive off shortly. My thought is that once the drive is off, I should be able to perform an operational check from the shifter all the way to the outside transom. I should see the small cable which locks to the outdrive jaws moving in and out as if I was putting it in and out of gear using the shifter. If it works fine, than all cables in boat should be good and that should tell me the problem is in the drive???
Somewhat yes but you won't know if the travel distance is correct. Take a few minutes and drain it before you pull it off the boat. It makes it much less sloppy to work on
Old 05-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered

I'll check my manual for travel distance and also compare it to the port motor... Thanks!

Now, once I have the drive off and lets say the shifter through to the cable which connects to the outdrive are OK, is it OK to pull the lock jaws on the drive in and out to test the outdrive or should I not be messing wtih it since it's not in a running mode???

Quick Reply: Lost shift ability on starboard motor????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.