Fast fuel injection >

Fast fuel injection

Notices

Fast fuel injection

Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast fuel injection

Can someone email me a good working file on a 540, I have something quagmired in my setup that won't allow my boat to run right, it dynoed fine, but doesn't want to run well in the boat. I am running a 540 with a Procharger and have something awry, would like to compare mine to someone else's, to see where i have made a mistake. It appears to be in the acceleration enrichment tables somewher, the boat takes off then lays down. If I pepper the throttle back and forth it comes on strong to a certain point, the plugs look to be tan on porcelain, a little black down inside, but nothing terribly rich.

Last edited by jspeeddemon; 05-30-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:45 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Re: Fast fuel injection

Are you running a wide band 02? have you done any data logs? have you saved your current calibrations in a file? the motor has more load on it in the boat at low end. Unless you find someone running the exact combination as you,engine, blower, boost, drive gears, prop, boat. Don't borrow a calibration map. It's probably in the VE table, but it could be A/F ratio, map or tps enrichment.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Registered

OK here is the update, i do have WBO and it is stuck on 15.94 right now never moves, so I don't know what is causing that. The motor was tuned with WBO and BSFC on a dyno and it ran like a top, same fuel system, same computer. The VE table is close because I saved it off the dyno. The AE fuel tables don't know about, althought the one that is saved worked well on the dyno. What are your opinions as to why it tries to run when I run the throttle back and forth, not getting enough fuel or too much fuel, that is the 20 million dollar Q&A at this point. With a carb it would be too lean and your are working the accelerator pump, have had this problem before, on fuel injection I can't make sense of it. I was leaning toward something in the spark system, but after changing plugs, ignition box, and coil it is still no better. I am now leaning toward fuel issues, maybe the pump is laying down under a load when I pull on it. i will have to work to verify because my gauge is still the old carbureted psi from the original Procharger setup 0 to 15. The gauge I use is under the hatch at this point. It revs like a SOB and sounds right, but falters under a load. Turbojack has a very similar motor to mine in the same boat, I don't know what hp his is making, mine made 1100 hp and 1100 tq for a huge power band, holding 1000 hp or more from 4700 to 6100 with the peak of 1092 on the last pull at 5800. Tq is 4000 to 5500 with peak of 1122. We saw 1125 on pull 5, had trouble with belt slipping above 6000. Don't really need above that anyway.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:25 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

15.94 reading can be to rich, to lean, or dead. Did you try watching the VE table on the laptop when this is happening? I would think you would see it jumping back and forth between the boxes that need attention.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

The bullseye follows the path of boost versus RPM like it is supposed to but I don't know what you mean about identifying the ones that need attention. How does it tell you on the screen that which boxes need attention. It always looks like a red bullseye to me. We marked each box with a red dot as the motor was loaded on the dyno and we read BSFC for that box and then leaned or richened each individual box accordingly, just like you would with a WBOS in the boat. i watch that VE table all the time shile trying to figure this problem out. 15.94 must mean this one is dead for some reason, but it did this before, quit working for a while and then started again. Thanks for the input. Turbojack sent me his file and mine is very close so I am pretty sure it's not the fuel program, his motor and mine are very similar, same size motor, injectors, heads. headers, and boost.

Last edited by jspeeddemon; 05-31-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JS,
I can send you my old map(s) if you need. (548ci w/m3 and 7lbs. )
Sounds like your WB took a crap.
Set your correction limits to +5% (and be careful). It may be throwing fuel at it when reading the 15.94 and drowning it.
Can you send me a log? I should be able to tell from that.
Dave
[email protected]
Old 05-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Registered

Dave I figured the same thing and turned my closed loop off, because my target A/F ratios were much lower. I actually used your files to compare to mine in the beginning two years ago, that was a great help.I lost your original file I had when my computer took a crash, but I had modified versions of it, to start with on the dyno and we fine tuned it till it ran well. I was way too rich when we started, killing the motor with fuel. What is odd is that nothing has changed in the program or motor since the dyno and it ran like a top. I will send you a file I am using, you may be able to look thru it and pick out some inconsistencies. I compared mine to Turbojack's yesterday and they were very close. I am leaning toward a fuel issue, like running out of fuel, pickup problem, fuel filter problem, starving the motor for fuel. I will check all this this evening. Thanks for your offer to help, that is what makes this board great.
John

Last edited by jspeeddemon; 05-31-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:43 AM
1975 X-18 Donzi, Arneson
Platinum Member

Your O2 sensor probably got wet and broke. That happen to me and forced the engine in to thinking it was lean and dump extra fuel in. Does your O2 senor always read the same? Even at an idle? Take out your O2 senor and see if it has salt on it. Turn the O2 sensor off and try and run. But don't leave it this way for more then a test run. If the O2 sensor is bad you need to get one from FAST and down load the new matched disc into your ECU. Then you can check and make sure you are running the correct A/F ratio. My guess is that you have reversion and the O2 sensor will keep breaking unless you change something. Possible cures; Raise your idle, install Shot Gun exhaust Flaps, Dry Exhaust, ect..
Attached Thumbnails Fast fuel injection-engine-20dynosm.jpg  
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Registered

As I read this & your email I want to say you might first boost reference your regulator. When going from vacuum to boost with the fuel pressure not increasing may be causing the lean condition.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Registered

I appreciate all your feedback so far. I have boost referenced the regulator and it may little or no difference at this point. I spoke with Gary form the boatd last night for an hour and he helped with accelerator enrichment tables, having some great input, feedback, and insight. I will try the updated program with hsi changes and see what happens today. Also I found that I had a fuse try to burn in the fuse holder that is the power supply wire to the fuel pump. Kind of makes me wonder about that. Pulled fuel filter and changing that today. If all this doesn't get me there I am going to a 5 gallon fuel cell strapped in the side funnel of my boat with clean fresh gas, which is the same as the dyno. I also found that my WBO is carboned up, will clean that with Brake Clean, that may be causing it to get stuck on 15.94 and staying there. I do have a dry exhaust all the way to the transom, my Lightning setup dumps 1/2 inch from the exhaust tips, shouldn't be any reversion. The angle thru the transom is fairly steep as well. I do appreciate the input GEOO. I will update with more info as I get it with these changes. Again I appreciate all you guys and you thoughts.

Quick Reply: Fast fuel injection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.