Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
hydraulic steering = chinewalk?! >

hydraulic steering = chinewalk?!

Notices

hydraulic steering = chinewalk?!

Old 06-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic steering = chinewalk?!

See if you can figure this one out for me. I'm running a 22 foot Checkmate with a 496HO. I was running mid to high 70s, gps, with the stock steering system, and was experiencing no chine-walk whatsoever (except once in very calm water). That was with both three and four blade props.

Mostly for safety reasons, I installed dual ram full hydraulic steering to the helm. I went with XS Performance - REALLY well-built, especially the rams and wingplate, which Brian told me add maybe 35 pounds onto the drive.

The system works great - very precise steering, etc... problem is, I'm now experiencing chine-walk at WOT, where I had none before. I get it with the four blade as well as the three blade.

When the steering system was stock, the steering and the prop felt "loose" at WOT, and there was a trim point at which speeed would drop off quite noticeably. Now, I'm getting the walk as I approach top speed, then the speed maintains itself as I continue to trim, but the walk gets worse.

I'm wondering if the extra weight of the equipment on the drive is lowering my x-dimension a bit (relative to the water). I tried shifting some weight around in the boat, but that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Registered

Default Re: hydraulic steering = chinewalk?!

Can't explain why you have a chinewalk now and not before but on my 24' I had a bad walk and switched drives from a rh to a lh and it cured the walk.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

Is it possible that there is still some air in the system and it is compressing back and forth? D
Old 06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Whitey: the system is now fully bled out and the drive is rock-solid. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be you simply were able to compensate for the walk with the old steering through practice? And now with a whole new steering system with a much different response you need to re-learn how to drive through it.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does seem odd. I don't see how the new hyd/steering would actually be causing the walk unless it's the added weight as you say. But I don't have hydo steering so no experience wiyh it.

I did have a bad walking problem that prop work helped, actuall cured. I sent my prop to Throttle Up, along with X dim/hull info, and engine tq. and hp numbers. TU labbed/worked the prop, and now the walk is completely gone. Plus I gained a little over 2 mph on gps.

Best WOT I've seen is 73 on gps so you're faster than me. But my 23 Nova is rock solid at all speeds after TU did the prop work.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

Nighthawk: That thought crossed my mind, but it is a totally different movement. This is classic, unmistakeable chine-walk, whereas the old WOT feel was just of looseness, nothing side-to-side. I'm convinced that it has something to do with more prop now being in the water than before. If I was subconsciously dealing with chine-walk before, maybe it's a bit like when my wife says "you're blowing too much on the boat" and I hear "you should buy a blower for the boat"...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered

Bounced:
Like you, I just installed an XS full system, but only a single ram, on my little 22zx.

My old stock steering had lots of slop at the helm, but very little at the drive.

I too am having handling problems that are different than before. I really don't know if I have chine walking issues or not.
What I feel is the rear end moving from side to side, but it's hard to tell what the boat really looks like. It's hard to feel when you are driving with only one hand on the wheel.
The hydraulic steering sure feels different at speed!

BUT, I am tending to think that I am over correcting now! Every little movement of the helm now produces a movement at the drive, whereas before, all the slop in the helm didn't.

That's my thoughts! I hope to figure this thing out soon. I plan on planting my brother on a point with a camcorder recording some fast passes, one of these days.

I'm thinking our little boats might need huge tabs at these speeds...I don't have any tabs...

BTW: I am running 76-77's regularly with a best of 78.2 gps so far.
Bravo 1.5 gears, HP500, 28p stock Bravo, 5,100 rpm.

Please post what you figure out!
Take care,
Kent

PS: Hi Kid! Good to see ya over here!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bouncedcheque
See if you can figure this one out for me. I'm running a 22 foot Checkmate with a 496HO. I was running mid to high 70s, gps, with the stock steering system, and was experiencing no chine-walk whatsoever (except once in very calm water). That was with both three and four blade props.

Mostly for safety reasons, I installed dual ram full hydraulic steering to the helm. I went with XS Performance - REALLY well-built, especially the rams and wingplate, which Brian told me add maybe 35 pounds onto the drive.

The system works great - very precise steering, etc... problem is, I'm now experiencing chine-walk at WOT, where I had none before. I get it with the four blade as well as the three blade.

When the steering system was stock, the steering and the prop felt "loose" at WOT, and there was a trim point at which speeed would drop off quite noticeably. Now, I'm getting the walk as I approach top speed, then the speed maintains itself as I continue to trim, but the walk gets worse.

I'm wondering if the extra weight of the equipment on the drive is lowering my x-dimension a bit (relative to the water). I tried shifting some weight around in the boat, but that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.
What prop are you running?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe tallk to the guys at XS. Could you need a slower reacting helm? That would be a lower volume helm.

Quick Reply: hydraulic steering = chinewalk?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.