When to run a cleaver?

Notices

When to run a cleaver?

Old 06-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to run a cleaver?

I have a 1990 26' Scarab CV @ 3,200 lbs. I am thinking I need a bigger prop, I have a real 360hp 5.7 sbc, running a 19" mirage now and the boat jump out of the hole and has no problem jumping from 3000rpm to 5000rpm with in seconds. It still a fairly new engine so I have not left it hammered to see how much more it will spin. Speed-o was in the low 50's not sure how good it reads? The machine shop said I should see mid 60's with my set-up. I have seen a few 21" Cleavers for sale CHEEP adv or dis adv any advice on how to chose the right prop ????
Old 06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Re: When to run a cleaver?

If it helps from the center of the prop shaft to the the bottom of the vee or pad is around 5 1/2" when drive is down.

Last edited by kmiller; 09-18-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

I have been running a cleaver on my 20 foot Donzi. The reason being, when I ran my 20 foot Formula, I'd get a lot of leaning of the boat due to prop torque. Someone told me to try a cleaver, and I think it does help some. I have an extra 21" cleaver that I would let go pretty cheaply.

I have a 24 Turbo I'm going to try next. I also have a 23 cleaver.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

I'm running 21P Mirage props on a Formula SR357 with TRS drives. I got a pair of 21P clevers with the boat that I'm going to try this weekend. FIrst problem I ran into was they need a different thrust washer than the Mirage props that had to be ordered.

Brett at BBProps gave me a lot of feedback but the net is it's one of those thing you just have to try on your specific boat. I've seen other comments about them that are all over ballpark regards effects.

I'm gonna try this weekend if the the thrust washers get here and I'll let you know outcome.

I think my X-dimension is longer than typcial and I need to verify that tonite if they get boat on a work rack. I'm experimenting because with the new drives I'm only turning 4oooRPM at WOT throttle with topend of aruon 50MPH.

My boat is more a "luxo-barge" than go fast but it seems like I should see more speed and RPM's.

Film at 11--
Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Banned

Poorsche, got to most any marine mechanic. They often have a bunch of washers around. They aren't hard to find.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

A cleaver is NOT what you want on that boat. Don't do your prop shopping based on the coolness of a prop. If you want to try a prop try the Bravo 1 or maybe the Tempest.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Registered

When to run a cleaver?
in the 1980s and early 1990s
Old 06-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Whats the best way to figure out the right size. Is a jump from a 19p to a 21p a big jump? Also is the bravo prop labled as a bravo like the mirage labled mirage?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Registered

i also have a 357 formula with 420's. i have a pair of quicksilver 21"s that came with the boat. i turn 5200 with no problem. would a 22" cleaver be a good prop to go to or a 23" bravo?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Bravo's come in even pitches so a 22" would be the correct choice. Also try a 21" Mirage plus. If you are deep (proably are) then the three blade may give you some more speed. If the Bravo is a bit too much then you'll need to step down to the Revolution. The Rev is basically a cut down version of the Bravo so it can be had in the smaller pitches. The same would be true for the Mirage, you could step down to the Vengeance if it's a bit too much. You are right on the line for need too much pitch for one prop and not having enough pitch for the other.

Quick Reply: When to run a cleaver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.