Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HP500 Carbs - blown plug and problem in bottom end at 171 hours? >

HP500 Carbs - blown plug and problem in bottom end at 171 hours?

Notices

HP500 Carbs - blown plug and problem in bottom end at 171 hours?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HP500 Carbs - blown plug and problem in bottom end at 171 hours?

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
Your problem sounds like detonation. Running a motor 5-7 minutes WOT without knowing 100% that everything is perfect with the tune up is asking for problems. You may got both motors into heavy detonation and hammered rod or main bearings out of one of them. I hope I am wrong, but that is what it sounds like to me!! Many factors cause detonation from too hot of plugs, plugs being too loose or bad gas. Good luck!!
After reading your first post I said detonation. I have destroyed more motor over the years to detonation. The first time I blew a spark plug out was my first trip out with new gale banks twin turbo setup running 15lbs of boost. That was my first experience with detonation. Since then I have done a lot of research on detonation. As Wette has stated detonation will destroy motors. On the one motor you may be lucky that the spark plug blew out being the weak link before that motor was destroyed. If you still have the plugs that you had when you ran the boat hard you might be able to find alum. specs on the plugs. If that is the case then detonation is what ate them up. As Wette also said detonation is cause from a number of things, such as too much timing, too lean, too high compression, too low octane gas, high engine temp, or too hot/wrong spark plug. My suggestion after you check the valve train (could be bent push rod) I would pull at least one motor & check it out.

What you will need to find out is what caused the detonation. If you do not find out what is causing it you will tear up the next motor just as quick.